Select to view content in your preferred language

Questions on Electric Utility Network Foundation Solution

Jump to solution
03-15-2024 12:05 AM
JürgenBiendara
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

This is a question for the developers of the Electric Utility Network Foundation Solution.

We would like to try to migrate the Geometric Network Data of a TSO into the Electric Utility Network Foundation. When mapping the customer data to the Electric Data Model, many questions of understanding arise that we hope to clarify here.

1. Grounding wires run between the tops of the high-voltage towers/pylons. These can be divided into wires that contain an optical fiber and those without an optical fiber.

•             Is there a direct equivalent in the EUNF for grounding wires with and without optical fibers?
  •             If not, would you suggest adding these asset types to the configuration?

2. Grounding wires with and without optical fibers also exist underground. Accordingly, the questions under 1. also apply to underground cables.

3. Is it correct that the EUNF does not yet include any communication assets (e.g. for mapping fiber optic communication cables) or are we missing something?

4. What is the function of the asset types "High/Medium/Low Voltage Service" in the feature class "ElectricLine"?

Thank you for your help, best regards,
Jürgen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

There are many different names for the same equipment, sometimes the name differences are not just language, but tradition.  Grounding wires in Transmission are also called Static Wires or Shield Wires.  They are all the same thing.  That's why we support renaming asset groups and asset types via the D_Rename table during apply.  In this case, the wire you are referring to we have called the asset group for this High Voltage Static Wire found in the Electric Line class.   We also duplicated this in the structure line class as asset group Static Wire.  They are used basically the same way.  

As for communications, you can apply the Communications asset package on top of the Electric Foundation, just use the Single Cable configuration in communications.  The just add a few rules to allow the Static Wire to contain Strands and a few other rules.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

There are many different names for the same equipment, sometimes the name differences are not just language, but tradition.  Grounding wires in Transmission are also called Static Wires or Shield Wires.  They are all the same thing.  That's why we support renaming asset groups and asset types via the D_Rename table during apply.  In this case, the wire you are referring to we have called the asset group for this High Voltage Static Wire found in the Electric Line class.   We also duplicated this in the structure line class as asset group Static Wire.  They are used basically the same way.  

As for communications, you can apply the Communications asset package on top of the Electric Foundation, just use the Single Cable configuration in communications.  The just add a few rules to allow the Static Wire to contain Strands and a few other rules.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
JürgenBiendara
Occasional Contributor

Hey John,

Thank you very much for answering my questions.

How about the final question: What is the function of the asset types "High/Medium/Low Voltage Service" in the feature class "ElectricLine"?

Can you help me with this one too.

Thanky again and best regards,
Jürgen

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Hi Jugen.  Feel free to keep asking questions.  It helps me add to our documentation.  

Why have a Separate Asset Groups for each Voltage Level of Service?  First, is cartoghraphic.  In Most cases, you don't want to draw High Voltage Service when you are zoomed to a scale that draws the majority of the Transmission or Subtransmission system.  You would only want to display services when zoomed in to a large scale.  The same would apply to the other voltage classes as well.  Why not one Service asset group?  I typically would not want to see Low Voltage Services if I am only interested in High or Medium Voltage classes of service.  Also, by using a separate asset group, you can uncheck or check the display very quickly to make them visible or not visible.  We try to a void using an extra attribute for rendering due to the expense.  Also, I can use categories at the asset type level.  So, If I wanted a summary of the kM of Circuit/Subnetwork and wanted to exclude services, I can use a network category to accomplish that.  And because Network Categories use Asset Group and Asset Type, which are imbedded in the network index, this yields the best performance.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
JürgenBiendara
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,

Thank you for the detailed answer. I just want to make sure once again that I understand it correctly. By "service" is meant an object to supply the resource "electricity" to a customer - "service" has nothing to do with telecommunication services, correct?

Thanks again, best regards,
Jürgen

0 Kudos