Select to view content in your preferred language

Meter Box Design in the UN

Jump to solution
08-09-2022 07:09 PM
TheoSnead
New Contributor II

Hi, 

I am working on the final parts of migrating to the utility network. I am struggling at finding the best design for meter boxes with multiple meters in them. I wanted to see if anybody has designed their meters to be contained in a boundary or structure junction? If so do you have a point for each meter or just one meter point with attributes indicating it is two? The method I've been trying (creating two meter points with a 'Y' service line design) has been leaving me with a ton of errors when enabling topology. 

Theo 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If you want to model every meter on the map, then you will need to ensure that the devices are not stacked on top of each other and that each one is connected to a service. In this case, I would recommend that you also use a meter box assembly to act as a container for your meters. This approach will take more time to draw and may clutter your map, but it will allow you to locate and trace your meters without any special tools.

If you don't want to model each individual meter, you could represent the meter box itself using a single meter (using an attribute to differentiate it from a single meter). In this case you would likely want to relate the device to a table that lists out the customers related to each meter. This keeps your map simpler, but means that you do have to do a few extra clicks to get from the meter to the customer information.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If you want to model every meter on the map, then you will need to ensure that the devices are not stacked on top of each other and that each one is connected to a service. In this case, I would recommend that you also use a meter box assembly to act as a container for your meters. This approach will take more time to draw and may clutter your map, but it will allow you to locate and trace your meters without any special tools.

If you don't want to model each individual meter, you could represent the meter box itself using a single meter (using an attribute to differentiate it from a single meter). In this case you would likely want to relate the device to a table that lists out the customers related to each meter. This keeps your map simpler, but means that you do have to do a few extra clicks to get from the meter to the customer information.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos