Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't see Diagrams templates - Basic, CollapseContainers, ExpandContainers

03-30-2023 06:43 AM
ClaudiaAlmeida
New Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a water utility network service Built with ARCGIS PRO 2.9.6 and published to ArcGIS Enterprise (10.9.1).

I have created my subnetworks and I'm trying to create a basic diagram once iI have traced my subnetwork, but the tool New diagram doesn't show any template

ClaudiaAlmeida_0-1680183314402.png

As you can see, I have the diagrams created for my subnetworks

ClaudiaAlmeida_2-1680183515497.png

If I validate my topology, I don't have errors and upgrading my subnetwork, everthing is also ok.

In the tool Find Diagrams I can see Diagrams created and I can Add to a new diagram map

ClaudiaAlmeida_3-1680183775162.png

What could be the problem?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnneYvonneBlin
Esri Contributor

Hello @ClaudiaAlmeida 
Any diagram template used as a subnetwork template is no longer available in the New Diagram drop down list when you are consuming a service in ArcGIS Pro. Since you set the 3 default templates as subnetwork templates, you no longer see them in the list. This is the expected behavior.
Moreover, the definitions of the default templates (the ExpandContainers template in particular) are not best suited for use as subnetwork diagram templates.
We recommend to create and use your own custom diagram templates as subnetwork templates.
This being said, for first testing purposes, you can create a 1st "basic" custom template and use it as a subnetwork diagram template if you want. This will prevent the 3 default installed templates to be unavailable in the New Diagram drop down list and allow you to start some tests as you want.
To do so, you must run the following steps:

• Disable the network topology
  • Run the Export Diagram Template Definition tool using the following parameter values:
    • Input Diagram Template = Basic
    • Output Rule and Layout Definitions File = ExportedBasic.ndbd
  • Run the Add Diagram Template tool to create your own custom diagram template based on the resulting ExportedBasic.ndbd rule and layout definition file. For example:
    • Diagram Template Name: BasicSubnetwork
    • Rule and Layout Definitions File: ExportedBasic.ndbd
  • Load the Set Subnetwork Definition
    • Remove the three diagram templates you set as Subnetwork Diagram Templates
    • Select the only new BasicSubnetwork template you've just created instead
    • Run
  • Re enable the network topology

The 3 default templates will be back in the New Diagram template list.

To lean about the differences between subnetwork system diagrams (those managed by the system at subnetwork update) and standard diagrams (those you can create your own) and get recommendations for configuring your subnetwork diagram templates, I recommend you to read the following blog: A tale of two network diagrams: Subnetwork system diagrams and standard diagrams

Hopping this will help,
Anne-Yvonne

ClaudiaAlmeida
New Contributor II

Hi @AnneYvonneBlin ,

Thank you very much for your help.

I did made some testing on the workflow you have mentioned and the result didn’t allow me to see the Basic template in the New Diagram List when using a feature service in ArcGIS Pro. I also tried to create a diagram with the Create Diagram Tool, but the diagram doesn’t appear in the new diagram list, when using the service . The only way to create diagrams from the New Diagram List is when I have the database connection on the map. Could it be because I’m with the ArcGIS Enterprise version 10.9.1?

Best regards,

Cláudia Almeida

0 Kudos
AnneYvonneBlin
Esri Contributor

Hi @ClaudiaAlmeida 
This is very strange... Nothing to do with the ArcGIS Enterprise version you are working...
Did you restart your service after these changes and try with a new Pro session? Should not be required, but...
Could you please also check the capabilities currently enable on the service you are testing?
They should be set as in the following screenshot:

AnneYvonneBlin_0-1680612080436.png

Please let me know
Anne-Yvonne

0 Kudos
ClaudiaAlmeida
New Contributor II

Hi @AnneYvonneBlin ,

I started by validating the feature service and it is set as your screenshot. So, I did more tests based on your suggestions and just restarting the service was not enough, the diagram template did not appear in the New Diagram List. Only after overwritting the service and opening a new Pro (as you suggested) I was able to see the template I created.

ClaudiaAlmeida_0-1680690680435.png

ClaudiaAlmeida_1-1680690715093.png

Again, thanks for your help, this time I could see the template diagram in Pro with the service.