Select to view content in your preferred language

Append VS dltsolution

11-12-2023 11:58 AM
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor II

I'm currently exploring utility network migration methods and find myself at a crossroads between the simplicity of the standard Append tool in the Data Management toolbox and the dltsolution - Create Data Loading Workspace.

In a simple comparison, I found the Append tool to be more powerful. It can use subtypes & domains, and we can map fields in a more straightforward way than in the dltsolution package.

For those who have experience with both the Append tool and dltsolution, how do you weigh the simplicity of the Append tool against the potential advantages of the dltsolution package? Are there specific scenarios where dltsolution has proven essential despite its complexities?

3 Replies
CashEddy
New Contributor II

DasheEbra,

This is a good topic that comes up often during implementations. The Append tool has its own advantages with a more direct source to target data mapping from a single feature class, feature layer, etc.

The dltsolutions approach introduces a terrific opportunity to document the schema for larger migrations, especially for the Utility Network given that it can be an iterative process.

Most of the time, the UN schema is extended from the Esri Utility Network Solutions in my experience. Crosswalking feature classes can include a lot of schema changes from an earlier model where some attributes fields are dropped, while others are added or modified. Same with subtypes, domains, defaults, etc.

I prefer to leverage the capabilities of the dltsolutions tools during a UN implementation and build a high-level feature class crosswalk to document all the changes as part of the iterative migration process.

Esri has published a great resource to practice using the data mapping workbooks at https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/load-data-into-the-arcgis-utility-network/

Enjoy the day!

Cash Eddy

Axim Geospatial LLC

Clarity Through Geography

PierreloupDucroix
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I think you should consider using dltsolutions for two main reasons :

First, if you have to map attributes values because the type has been modified (ex. you have a text domain, but you want to use it as the assetType, thus changing to an integer domain). Although you could probably do it another way, dltSolution let you map with simple mapping sheets in your workbook, plus you can use python functions if needed.

Second, if you plan to use devices with terminals, which will usually be the case if you want to create subnetworks. In this case, the dstsolution let you select the fromTerminal and toTerminal values for your lines and will automatically create connectivity.

0 Kudos
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

What a great topic, didn't even know that tool was an option, will have to look further into it!!

0 Kudos