Select to view content in your preferred language

Uploading/Migrating Building Footprints

07-21-2024 05:49 AM
AhmedTarekAlhusainy
Occasional Contributor

Hello ESRI Community,

I am seeking guidance on the following in ArcGIS Urban:

1. Is there a method to upload building footprints for all my spaces simultaneously, or to migrate existing building data into spaces and then upload it all at once for my entire area?

To provide some context, here is my current approach:

• I am preparing the building footprints, where each building type corresponds to a space type.
  • Each space type (building type) has unique attributes such as floor height and number of floors.
  • I split all building features by attribute and then upload each space type into the ArcGIS Urban development section.

My specific questions are:

1. Is there a way to upload all building types (space types) at once, rather than uploading each of the 70 space types individually? I mean uploading the whole building footprint layer that contain "All" Building Type.
  2. How can I migrate existing data into the space format and achieve the same approach from an ESRI expert’s perspective? Specifically, I have existing data that I aim to integrate into ArcGIS Urban for KPIs and regulations checks, among other purposes.

I appreciate your insights and am happy to provide further clarification if needed.

Community1.png

AhmedTarekAlhusainy_0-1721565843797.png

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JasonKarian2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ahmed,

As of right now, you can only do uploads based off of one space use type at a time, however this is something I can bring back to the developer team and have them work on adding it to a future update!

For the second question, could you please verify a little more on what you're looking to achieve? Just trying to understand your end goal!

0 Kudos
AhmedTarekAlhusainy
Occasional Contributor

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your prompt response. I would like to add some insights regarding the second question.

In every planning phase, it is not always necessary to start from scratch. You often have existing buildings that you plan to develop, correct? During the planning process, you will need to measure the current/existing building KPIs and then set technical criteria to develop new spaces. These scenarios will ultimately enhance the KPIs.

Here is my question regarding existing data and buildings:

I have a 2D building with no detailed information about the spaces inside. However, we equate building type with space type while preparing the deployment sheet. This 2D building includes floor height and the number of floors, which are mandatory.

When I start my planning through ArcGIS Urban:

1. I will import the study area.
  2. Then, a default plan will be created with the existing scenario plus the new scenario.

From an Esri expert’s perspective, if I need to extrude existing data or “Upload Footprint” for existing data, how can I achieve this?

Additionally, the “Upload Footprint” option is dimmed for existing data. If I need to obtain metrics over existing data in 2D (in case I cannot extrude to 3D), how can I achieve this?

Please let me know if there are any discrepancies or further clarifications needed.

Thanks 

Ahmed

0 Kudos
AhmedTarekAlhusainy
Occasional Contributor

Hello Again,

To resolve this issue, I personally handle existing data as 2D, then create the first scenario as an existing but “3D” model. The second scenario initiates the planning phase. However, I am inquiring about Esri’s perspective to see if there is an alternative or more streamlined method.

Please let me know if there are any discrepancies or further clarifications needed.

Thanks 

Ahmed

0 Kudos