Select to view content in your preferred language

Uploading Building Footprints - Issue

07-21-2024 06:04 AM
AhmedTarekAlhusainy
Occasional Contributor

Hello ESRI Community,

I am encountering some issues while uploading building footprints and would appreciate your assistance.

I have a building type, which in my case corresponds to a space type. I have prepared urban type sheets, and here is an example:

Note: The blue columns are my own additions and are not part of the referenced ESRI template Excel.

I have observed the following discrepancies during the upload process:

• The feature count for these spaces is 971.

AhmedTarekAlhusainy_2-1721566520587.png

AhmedTarekAlhusainy_1-1721566427554.png

AhmedTarekAlhusainy_0-1721566372358.png

• Upon validating the uploaded published layer of this space in the ArcGIS Urban development section, the count is 810.

AhmedTarekAlhusainy_4-1721567033586.png

• When the spaces are created, the count further reduces to 451.

AhmedTarekAlhusainy_3-1721566727870.png

I am unsure which factors affect the uploading process and which topological constraints or rules determine the validity of buildings. I suspect that some buildings might overlap with parcels (e.g., one building overlapping two parcels) or are located over two regulation zones, preventing the software from fetching the regulations, thus causing the urban software to drop them.

Could you please provide insights into what might be causing these discrepancies and how to address them?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JasonKarian2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ahmed,

Question for you on this - those space use types, the 971, is there any chance that they're overlapping? If there are overlapping polygons, Urban will essentially get rid of them in the upload process, which could be why the total number of spaces is halved. 

If not, please let me know and I can get a developer to look at it!

0 Kudos
JasonKarian2
Occasional Contributor

Ahmed,

I got a response from a dev - the answer is below:

What Ahmed is seeing might be expected. Let me shed some light on it:

The number of features as displayed in the "Import Footprints" dialog: This number always represents the number of features of the dataset you're importing from that are completely within the study area boundary.

The numbers displayed in the "Number of spaces" column of the "Spaces" table represent the number of floors generated based on the imported footprints and the building type that was selected. However, floors are only generated for building footprints whose centroid intersects with a parcel geometry. 

In Ahmed's case it might well be that:

810 out of the original 971 features are inside his plan's study area.

For only 451 out of the 810 features inside the study area, the footprint's centroid intersects with a parcel geometry.

0 Kudos
AhmedTarekAlhusainy
Occasional Contributor

Hello Jason,

I hope you are doing well. Thank you for your valuable contribution; it is much appreciated.

Let’s summarize the validation process for the imported buildings. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Note: Here, we equate space type with building type. For example, in the previous instance, we had a configured building type.

Current Process:

1. Imported Validation: Completely within the study area.
  2. Generating/Extruding Buildings: Building footprints’ centroids intersect with the below parcel.

Regarding the overlapping you mentioned, did you mean overlapping with the parcel or the land use feature layer? I am asking because, when testing these validation processes on the data using ArcGIS Pro, I obtained different numbers.

Validation Steps:

1. Select By Location: Apartment-1 completely within the study area, resulting in 587.
  2. Feature To Point: Get centroids of buildings, then select by location, intersected by parcels, resulting in 587.

Please let me know if there are any discrepancies or further clarifications needed.

Thanks 

Ahmed

0 Kudos
AhmedTarekAlhusainy
Occasional Contributor

Jason,

Regarding the first validation, it appears ok that when I manually draw a larger study area layer, all features are valid, totaling 971.

AhmedTarekAlhusainy_0-1721822170142.png

However, for the second validation (created spaces), I obtained 526.

AhmedTarekAlhusainy_1-1721822214106.png

Could you please provide more clarification or steps to validate the created spaces?

By the way:

• Import: Refers to features of building footprints.
  • Spaces: Relates to the number of floors created according to building types.

If I have one building (feature to import), it will check this building type in the sheet and then extrude based on its attributes (default floor, number of floors, etc.). Am I correct?

Please let me know if there are any discrepancies or further clarifications needed.

Thanks 

Ahmed

0 Kudos