Looking for best practices for Tracker in AGOL.

09-22-2020 01:22 PM
JessicaSchneider
New Contributor III

Jeff Shaner

Hello,

Looking for best practices for ArcGIS Tracker in AGOL that will update to a web map for the last known location. 

Currently we can not get the last known location to display in a timely manner.  We are looking to show something as close to live as possible. 

I am testing this by having a coworker watch a web map while I ride around my neighborhood on my bike holding my phone.  the Tracker bread crumbs eventually updates when I get back but the last known location does not.  My neighbors are starting to wonder why I keep taking 3 minute bike rides with 5 minute breaks in the house.   Any tips would be great. 

THANKS!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is possible to share tracks by creating a proxy layer with embedded credentials. You can do this by copying the feature service url and adding a new web service to ArcGIS Online using that url. You will prompted to enter credentials, if you store the credentials, then that proxied layer will work for public usage. We strongly discourage sharing the historical tracks publicly for performance, security, and privacy reasons. If you want to just share the last known location layer publicly that should be okay.

Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks so much for clarifying so quickly, @Anonymous User 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This should have been resolved late last week (10/2/2020) with an update to ArcGIS Online hosted feature services. There was an incorrect caching rule in place.