Can View Tracks privilege be assigned to a default AGOL role?

Jump to solution
02-03-2020 09:40 AM
JakeJacobs
Occasional Contributor III

I'm looking at the documentation for how to add the "View Tracks" privilege to a role.  In my organization we use the default roles for most users.  It looks like View Tracks is only enabled for the Administrator. Is there any way to change this or for non Administrators are we going to have to create a whole custom role and move everyone over to it? We have a whole bunch of web app users who will be just plain Viewers or Data Editors but need to see certain track views as part of their web app.

User types, roles, and privileges—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You cannot add or remove privileges from a default role. You will need to make a custom role. The easiest way is to create a new role based on an existing role, then just check the "view location tracks" privilege box to add it to the role. We have roles like "Viewer + View Tracks" or "Editor + View Tracks".

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You cannot add or remove privileges from a default role. You will need to make a custom role. The easiest way is to create a new role based on an existing role, then just check the "view location tracks" privilege box to add it to the role. We have roles like "Viewer + View Tracks" or "Editor + View Tracks".

DanielleKulas
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there,

Thanks for this clarification, it's super helpful. I've been creating and assigning custom roles as the solution suggests, but am having issues when making a 'Facilitator + View Tracks' role. I based the custom role off of the Facilitator role, added the ability to view tracks, and when I assigned the person the role (I had to remove them as a collaborator first to do that) I no longer had the option to add them back to the org as a collaborator. This makes sense on its face since only a Facilitator and Admin can be a collaborator but I was hoping it would recognize the custom role as having all the capabilities of the Facilitator.  The only workaround I can think of is to make them an Admin but I'd rather not do that as they don't need full Admin powers. Do you have any suggestions or workarounds for this scenario? Thanks!

0 Kudos