Select to view content in your preferred language

XLS form screentips for the wrong column

Jump to solution
09-25-2023 12:31 PM
EmilyBuck
New Contributor

I am working on troubleshooting a survey someone else set up for my organization. One of the things I have noticed is that the screentips that pop up while in the XLS spreadsheet do not always match the column headers. The basics (type, name, label, hint) columns match along with some of the others, but many do not match and it is not a consistent offset (e.g. they haven't gotten consistently displaced to the right or left).

Is this indicative of a larger problem or should this have no impact on function? I tried googling it and looking around on the forum, have not found anyone experiencing something similar. 

The problem I am trying to fix relates to column names in the database of submissions on the Esri site (I believe this is called the hosted feature layer?). In the xls spreadsheet, the alias column (header bind:esri:fieldAlias) gives the screentip for bind::esri:fieldLength and only accepts numbers which are being used to limit field sizes for some questions. Those numbers appear as aliases in the database which is making things difficult on the back end.  

Thank you for any insight!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @EmilyBuck

The XLSX data validation doesn't have an impact on the function of Survey123. They are only there to help with your form authoring experience. If the XLSForm template is a little older the data validation is pretty easy to get jumbled up either through inserting new columns or copying and pasting data into the XLSForm. 

The easiest way to clean up the XLSForm is to run the Update XLSForm template tool available in Connect. This will copy your survey design into the latest XLSForm template. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

EmilyBuck
New Contributor

Thank you very much! I will try that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @EmilyBuck

The XLSX data validation doesn't have an impact on the function of Survey123. They are only there to help with your form authoring experience. If the XLSForm template is a little older the data validation is pretty easy to get jumbled up either through inserting new columns or copying and pasting data into the XLSForm. 

The easiest way to clean up the XLSForm is to run the Update XLSForm template tool available in Connect. This will copy your survey design into the latest XLSForm template. 

Thank you,
Zach
EmilyBuck
New Contributor

Thank you very much! I will try that.

0 Kudos