When will Survey123 support polylines and polygons?

11-27-2018 03:36 PM
TiffanySprague
New Contributor III

Is there any solid information about when Survey123 will accommodate polylines and polygons? It always seems to be "soon" or "high on the list", but with no dates. We use S123 and like it very much, but the inability to capture tracks may force us to switch to Collector, which otherwise would be suboptimal for our work (field ecological research by a non-profit organization using citizen scientists). Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

21 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Main question on updates aside, have you considered using both Collector for ArcGIS and Survey123?

If Collector for ArcGIS isn't an option, could also consider integrating it with a Web Mapping application.

This way the users could create features in the Web Map (using Collector or the Web Mapping Application) and then launch a survey from the feature.

I find this workflow to be quite good when the majority of time we're working spatially but on occasion we need a bit more depth to our field data collection.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tiffany,

As the Survey123 team researched into best supporting polygon and polyline collection, we came to the conclusion that there are a few prerequisite improvements that need to be made.  One of these enhancements, among others, involves replacing the existing map with an ArcGIS Runtime map.  We've encountered some delays that have pushed back when we can first implement the Runtime map; at this time we don't have a date for providing polygon/polyline support.

NathanDulfon
New Contributor III

hello James,

If I built an xlsForm with the polygon/polypoint capabilities as in the SCAT.xlsx example... will it work when the newest Survey123 version is released?

0 Kudos
NathanDulfon
New Contributor III

I meant to ask... if I build an xlsForm in Beta with polygon capabilities.... will it works when the S123 polygons is released?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Nathan,

Support for polyline and polygon is currently only in beta and not in the released version of the app. Please keep an eye out on the EAC announcements and updates. The next released version 3.4 of Survey123 will not include final support for polyline and polygon, however we are aiming for full support in a release soon after that. In the meantime please keep using the updated beta versions on EAC with your example/test surveys, and if you encounter any issues or with a subsequent beta update your xlsx form stops working, please provide feedback on the EAC forums.

Phil.

0 Kudos
FlorenciaPineiro
New Contributor III

Hi James,

For collecting polygons, the transmission tool may be available? 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Florencia,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the transmission tool - can you provide more details?

0 Kudos
FlorenciaPineiro
New Contributor III

Hi James,

I mean the tool that allows you capture events in the field based on your path. It´s available in Collector for ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Florencia,

You can already collect events (points) as you travel along a path using Survey123.  Are you referring to a continuous collection of a line or polygon boundary as you move along the path?

0 Kudos