When using "External choice lists(CSV file hosted in ArcGIS Online) ", will the survey update automatically once I update the hosted .CSV?

Jump to solution
04-14-2021 04:28 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a choice list which is shared by multiple surveys and need to be updated regularly.

So I try to  keep it as a 'CSV file hosted in ArcGIS Online', and follow the instruction to connect it by ' Linked Content ' and use the 'select_one_from_file' question type.

While I found the pick-list of the question didn't pop-up, unless I manually download it by the  'Linked Content'  tab.

The manual says 'If you manually place the CSV file in the survey's media folder, and at a later time upload a CSV file of the same name to ArcGIS and link it to the survey, the CSV file in the survey is updated from the linked content (if newer)'. But when I update the hosted CSV file, nothing happened.

So how is this supposed to work? Should I manually download the CSV file via 'Linked Content'  each time I update the picklist and then republish the survey? Or just epublish the survey? Or I am supposed to do nothing other than update the 'hosted CSV file'?

Thanks a lot.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

I assume you are talking about Connect above, when you say you have to manually download the updated file. The is correct and is how it works in Connect as an author, but for the field app and the end user, it will automatically updated. You do not need to republish the survey for the end user, that is the point of linked content, it will automatically update for the end user, seperate to the survey being updated.

When using the field app, when the user navigates past the survey info page, before doing a new Collect, Inbox or open a Drafts survey etc, a check is done and newer csv files downloaded. This does not happen in Connect for the author creating the survey, as there is no such navigation or page.

In Connect, you just need to simply update the latest file using the download button in linked content which you have already been doing.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

version 3.12.232

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

I assume you are talking about Connect above, when you say you have to manually download the updated file. The is correct and is how it works in Connect as an author, but for the field app and the end user, it will automatically updated. You do not need to republish the survey for the end user, that is the point of linked content, it will automatically update for the end user, seperate to the survey being updated.

When using the field app, when the user navigates past the survey info page, before doing a new Collect, Inbox or open a Drafts survey etc, a check is done and newer csv files downloaded. This does not happen in Connect for the author creating the survey, as there is no such navigation or page.

In Connect, you just need to simply update the latest file using the download button in linked content which you have already been doing.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks, that's an excellent explanation. Now the update mechanism is quite clear to me.

And I just realised that I only updated my 'Survet123 connect', but not for the app on iPad. After the update of APP on ipad, things went well. 

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Phil,

I'm working with external choice lists for a couple surveys we are rolling out. I notice that the CSV updates no problem when selecting the survey in the Survey123 app. However, our workflow opens up the survey from a link in Field Maps, which skips past this screen you mention where it checks for updates and therefore doesn't update the CSV on the mobile device.

Am I missing a step here or was this overlooked?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RobertAnderson3,

What you are seeing is currently expected when using the URL scheme to launch Survey123 from Field Maps or any other app. As this workflow skips the survey info page, the linked content will not be automatically updated. You would need to manually open the survey first, go to info page, ensure linked content is updated, before launching from Field Maps.

We are looking at enhancing the URL scheme workflow in near future to improve this check for linked content and some other outstanding URL scheme issues.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
SkeenP_
New Contributor III

This is also the case when long pressing on a survey to go straight to the survey in Survey123 from the title page. The check is not completed as the survey info page is not shown. I really like the ability to draw from global CSVs, and its a great step but it will take some getting used to for field officers to no longer use the long press for opening a survey. @Anonymous User do you know if the CSV update functionality is on the roadmap to work in this instance?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SkeenP_,

Yes, you are correct, the long press on survey tile in gallery will skip the survey info page and then jumps striaght to a new collect, therefore this does skip the check for updates to the CSV files and linked content.

We do have improvements on the roadmap to change this behaviour, so that linked content can be checked at different stages no matter how the survey is launched, via URL or long press etc. There is currently no timeframe for these improvements, unlikely they will be included in the next release, but please keep an eye out for updates to the Early Adopter Community once these updates are ready for testing.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos