Select to view content in your preferred language

What is the best way to reference a list from a table in the SDE into a dropdown list in Survey 123?

3 weeks ago
JChinn
by
New Contributor II

I've been tasked with the following request.

Request Description: Using the existing Vehicle survey (Survey 123) look into connecting the vehicle drop down list  in the survey to reference the Fleet list (located in a table in the SDE).

The goal of this is to reduce the number of places we need to update the fleet data. If the drop down list can reference the SDE thru portal into the survey then the only update to the vehicle drop down list would be the Fleet table in the SDE.

I've been reading about the pulldata()function, dynamic lists, and choice lists.  Would any of these options work to directly reference the data from the SDE fleet table located thru portal to populate the Vehicle survey dropdown list?

What would be my best option?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @JChinn

Survey123 would not be able to communicate directly with the SDE table only feature or map services. You would need to publish the table as a referenced feature or map service to your ArcGIS Enterprise organization and use the REST endpoint from that service in your survey. Please ensure that Query is enabled on the service as that's the operation Survey123 uses to obtain the data. 

The search() appearance would be the way to consume that data as a choice list in Survey123. 

Thank you,
Zach
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

It really depends on your list, I have used both the search() appearance to get information from tables in ArcGIS Online or the choice lists with Linked Content CSVs. 

But yes it seems it has to be on your organization side (ArcGIS Online or Enterprise). For ArcGIS Online the hosted tables/layers are published nightly and the CSVs are exported from our database and uploaded using Python nightly. So while it does create another place to update it, it's easy enough to do it automatically.

0 Kudos