Web form timeout problem

Jump to solution
03-18-2019 03:13 AM
BritaVespere
New Contributor III

Hello, 

Survey is published from Connect (tried with the newest version 3.3 and older versions) and is supposed to be filled out only on web browser. 

The survey is published to AGOL and Portal for ArcGIS, acts the same on both:

• publishes with no problems (used html style tag in some places, a lot of hidden calculations with if statements);
  • when opened in web times out while looking 'wrong' (as in the image attached), then when clicked "Wait", it loads as needed;
  • filling questions takes at least 7-10 sec for each, to even click on other question (radio buttons, decimal input etc.) - this is not for all questions: at first there are 10 questions and based on their responses other things are calculated and relevant question groups are shown;
  • when submitting - the same delay, but in the end the data is collected.

Could there be some problems with the way the form is created that could cause the described behavior?

images added

Any comments will help!

Thank you, 

Brita

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BritaVespere
New Contributor III

BUG-000121953:  A comprehensive survey containing 400-500 lines where a combination of groups, font color and “IF” calculations, encounters performance issue while loading and opting the choice list when submitting through Web Browser. 

So that You all know, the advice for now is to use Field App. 

Brita

View solution in original post

9 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brita,

Are you able to provide a copy of the XLSForm that you designed for the survey?

0 Kudos
BritaVespere
New Contributor III

Hello, 

Sorry, I cannot provide a copy. 

There have been improvements - as I tried to optimize the calculations and reduced the count of fields (down to about 380 form 500) the time it takes to respond when filling in the questions is slightly shorter. But the time to load in the survey still is too long.

However, there were advises from programmers to look at some other rows too. As I plan to do it later I will return to this here to inform (the problem has been submitted for support). 

Of course the problem here is that there are a lot of if calculations working with the input choices and values.

I must say that in field app the heavy survey works great, no delay. 

And there is a difference when using Chrome or Mozilla - Chrome takes more time. 

Maybe there are ideas from the comments - are there limitations with the field count or for calculations?

Thanks, 

Brita

0 Kudos
BritaVespere
New Contributor III

BUG-000121953:  A comprehensive survey containing 400-500 lines where a combination of groups, font color and “IF” calculations, encounters performance issue while loading and opting the choice list when submitting through Web Browser. 

So that You all know, the advice for now is to use Field App. 

Brita

Fco_JavierRomero
New Contributor III

Hi, I think I have the same problem. For no apparent reason sometimes the report is created without problems and other times it fails. As you can see in the attached image, the same record generates the report in 35 seconds, when it had previously failed.

Saludos

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Javier,

This does not seem like the same error as being described in this thread.  Given that the error is regarding a failure to print a given map, it would be helpful to examine the performance of that map - are there many dynamic map services or other things that would slow down map generation?

0 Kudos
Fco_JavierRomero
New Contributor III

Eh, well, if you say me a username, i shared with you the webmap and feature service to examinate them.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Javier,

Thank you for sharing the form and map.  I don't see anything that would make the map time out in the rendering process.  Is this happening regularly?

0 Kudos
juan_luisGarcia_González
New Contributor II

Hello, it actually happens for no apparent reason, I did not find a pattern when it fails. It does not always happen, although it is frequent.

I can't tell you anymore.

0 Kudos
Fco_JavierRomero
New Contributor III

Sorry I was logged in with another user.

0 Kudos