Way to summarize existing items inside a repeat?

10-16-2018 07:03 AM
JeffJackson4
New Contributor III

Is there a way to summarize, as a list, certain items from within a repeat?  Say using a note field?

For example, we want to do repeated surveys (weekly) at locations.  So we have a single form where the main part of the form contains key data for the site (location, name, structure ID, etc.).  Then the second part of the form has a repeat for each of the weekly inspections.

When something is amiss, it is marked as a "priority item" in a given weekly report.  The problem is that unless you scroll through each of the previous surveys (as many as 50 or more), and view every potential item type on said form, it is very difficult to see what the items that need addressing are, and if they have been addressed, close them out.

What we would like to do is have a summary in the main body of the form that lists these priority items in a format like as follows.

Priority Items:

Description                                     Priority                                       Date Open         Date Closed

Problem #1                                       High                                            08/23/2018         09/06/2018

Problem #2                                       Medium                                      09/06/2018

Problem #3                                       Low                                            09/13/2018

Where things like "Description", "Priority", "Date Open", and "Date Closed" are all fields within the repeat.

This way, the inspector can quickly see what needs to be looked at.

Thanks.

11 Replies
JeffJackson4
New Contributor III

Really, the problem is the way the data is handled on ESRI's backend.  We've had a lot of discussions with them regarding how different access points don't provide the same functionality. For example you get one type of functionality if you use the Survey123 Form and an entirely different functionality if you log in to the site and try to edit data.  This is because the only thing linked to the XLS form is the Survey. 

So, if someone logs in to the data through the desktop and tries to "close out" an open item, they can put in the date.  But nothing gets calculated (e.g. days open, etc.).  It would be clean and neat if we could count on the data being handled and processed the same way regardless of how you access it.  But it isn't.

It also is a problem when you have to store old data.  Some projects don't require this.  But ours do.  If it was as simple as simply updating information and not having to worry about old data, that would be one thing.  You have one form and each week you just put new data in.  But, when you are talking about compliance, preserving the old data is very critical.  The History is the key.

This requires us to download data and do our own spreadsheets and parse the data there to maintain integrity and generate the information required for compliance purposes.

This also leads to the problem I mentioned above.  We do not want users to have to access data all over the place in order to find out simple things.  Such as what items are open and need a closer look.  Its not that field personnel are not capable. Its that having data in too many places leads to potential points of failure. Opening one form and seeing what you need to see is key.  Using and linking separate softwares has already created headaches on this project.  Which is why they have tasked us with coming up with a better solution.

Collector just doesn't work for this type of system.  It works great for linear projects where the inspection points are spaced out.  But here they can be very close together and that makes for a cluttered mess.  Survey123 is much better for that situation, but is lacking some key functionality. 

What ESRI really needs is to merge the two into one software.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yep most of my day is doing this type of data ballet.  Keeps us working though!

I agree that live time data stuff is something Esri really lacks.  It is all based on processing data vis scripts etc, not reacting live time.  Arcade is a start at this and when collector gets Arcade you may finally be able to write something once that works in web map and collector. 

In the end what normally I have to do is pull down the data, run some script on it, then republish.  I could see you running a nightly to do some of this like days.

Have you looked at the Workforce app?  It allows you to get a list of To Do items and such that may help with the spatial clutter.  I think it may have severity and such also to prioritize.  Seems built to do some of what you want - like closing out a job.

0 Kudos