video attachments in webform vs field app

Jump to solution
11-29-2018 09:19 AM
TregChristopher
Occasional Contributor

I'm wondering if the Survey123 webforms support video attachments? In general, I'm also wondering if there is a list of supported file types (for attachments) for Survey123 and also whether this support differs between the field app and the web form. I've heard that the app can support other attachments other than images (in the "image" type field) such as pdfs and videos but after limited testing on the web form, this does not seem to be the case. If it makes any difference, we use always Connect and existing hosted feature services to create our forms. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Treg,

The Survey123 web designer already has support for a generic file question.  This can be implemented in a survey published by Survey123 Connect by using a question type of 'file' (you would need to add this to the list of question types in the 'types' worksheet) to enable a general file upload.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Treg,

The Survey123 web designer already has support for a generic file question.  This can be implemented in a survey published by Survey123 Connect by using a question type of 'file' (you would need to add this to the list of question types in the 'types' worksheet) to enable a general file upload.

PeterDalrymple
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

Can you expand any further on how to add this question type? I've added the 'file' type in the Field Types section of the 'types' worksheet and included a question of that type in my survey worksheet. However, when I convert the XLS, I am not seeing the same result in Survey123 Connect as Treg shows below.

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
Chris_Anderson
Occasional Contributor II

Has there been any additional development with regards to adding the "file" question to surveys developed in Connect? I have added "file" to the types worksheet, updated the data validation, created and published a test survey with a file question, but the option for upload is not available.

Chris Anderson

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

No, the file type question is not currently supported in Connect or the field app. This is in our backlog and something we are aiming to add as a new feature in a future release, however there is no set timeline yet.

Phil.

0 Kudos
TregChristopher
Occasional Contributor

Excellent! This is really helpful and I just tested it out and it worked fine...I never realized there are other 'type' values that we can include in our spreadsheet beyond the list of available options.

As a suggested future enhancement, it would be nice if videos were also somehow bundled with the image type, so that it would show the camera icon and provide the capability to capture either a video or a photo with their device while completing the form (like what they can do already with just photos).

0 Kudos
MathieuBoonen
Occasional Contributor

Has this been removed or incorporated in another module file type in the current version 3.10 , as I note I can attach a video via desktop browser by selecting all file types whilst editing a survey but not off a Apple I Phone. as the phone defaults to photo only attachment type.

0 Kudos