Vector Tile Package Creation With Vector Basemap

10-29-2020 06:08 PM
GarrettSmith1
New Contributor III

Hello

I am trying to create a vector tile package that I can use for offline use for a survey that I am working on in Survey123. The map contains a polygon and around 1,000 points. In ArcGIS Pro I have these shapefiles overlaid on a vector basemap from the ArcGIS Living Atlas portal. 

When I run the Create Vector Tile Package tool I continuously get this error:

ERROR 001852: Layer type is not supported for vector tile packages.

I have tried five different vector basemaps, including vector tile layers, and all return this message.

If I remove the basemap, I can successfully run the tool and create a .vtpk. However, I need to have a basemap so that users of the survey will have some sort of spatial reference to where they are at.

I have been searching high and low for a definitive answer to the issue that I am having with trying to export a Vector Tile Package with one of the "vector" basemaps from the ESRI portal and cannot find anything. A lot of the ESRI help and/or examples are pretty vague about the usage of basemaps.

I have tried to use the online map packaging, however using that method gives me the opposite problem in that I cannot have the feature layers and only the basemap.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I have been running this tool all day to no avail.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kanin
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hello @GarrettSmith1 ,

I understand that you are trying to create a vector tile package using Esri's vector tile basemaps  and your own custom data with the error message ERROR 001852: Layer type is not supported for vector tile packages.

As the error suggests, this layer type (Esri's vector tile basemap) is not supported in creating a vector tile package because it is already a vector tile service:

Could you please try using these vector tile basemap services in this ArcGIS Online group instead?

Note: An ArcGIS Online subscription is required to export tile packages.

Best regards,
Kanin

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

Reference:create vtpk from Esri Vector Basemaps 

0 Kudos
ElenaSauleda
New Contributor

Hi,

I am having the same problem and the same error message:

ERROR 001852: Layer type is not supported for vector tile packages.

The @Kanin solution doesn't work for me.

I tried with many services from Living Atlas, from Arcgis Online..but nothing worked.

The only way I has a vtpk was with the "Download Map" option in the Offline sectiorn from the Map ribbon.

0 Kudos