Using Survey123 and Collector together?

Jump to solution
07-11-2016 12:11 PM
ThomasSpindler1
New Contributor III

So, I created a survey and was testing it out.  I opened my survey data in the web map and noticed that attachments are available.  Naturally, I saved the web map, opened Collector, and noticed that everything just works.  I can edit, add data and attachments.  Is this by design, meaning will it always work this seamlessly? 

Currently, we're using Collector and ArcGIS for Server with ArcGIS Online.  If yes to the above question, am I correct to assume it will work the same using Portal for ArcGIS?

18 Replies
CarlHolt
New Contributor III

Is it possible to create a survey on an existing point from a feature layer service shared with the same group as the form, in Survey123?

0 Kudos
CarlHolt
New Contributor III

Where is there a step-by-step guide on how to configure this integration between Collector and Survey123? The article you linked gives us a great example, but no guide.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Carl,

The article tells the story of how the customer is using both Collector for ArcGIS and Survey123 for ArcGIS (as two separate apps) as part of their overall solution strategy. Currently, there is no direct integration between Collector and Survey123, hence why there is no documentation on how to integrate them.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
CarlHolt
New Contributor III

Yes it does.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Carl,

You can create a survey and associate it with an existing feature service. This is possible with the 'submission URL' column in the Settings tab of your XLS form in Survey123 Connect. Learn more here,

Submission URL—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

When you publish the survey, a new form item is created and it will be associated with the existing feature service - but their schemas must be the same. When new surveys are collected, they will create new point features in the existing feature service. Is this what you are looking for?

CarlHolt
New Contributor III

Derek, I am asking if I can create a survey and associate with an existing feature service that already contains point features. I have tried the submission url, but cannot get pass the publish service error, see attached. The gi_repeat field is the field name for a begin repeat field type.Capture3.JPG

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Carl,

The error message indicates that something is not matching between the survey and the feature service. Please double check that their schemas match. Please verify and confirm that you've met all the requirements of a submission URL in the help topic.

I also noticed you posted the same question in another thread: Submission URL error

In future, please only post once to avoid duplication of efforts.

Hope this helps,

CarlHolt
New Contributor III

So how would I add a field to the feature service for a simple database field name of a begin repeat XLSForm type? Has this been reported as a bug?

Sorry about the duplication, just really excited about the functionality of Survey123.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Carl,

A repeat in a survey is modeled as a related table behind the scenes. I'm not sure if it's possible to modify your existing feature service to support the gi_repeat, by enabling a related table. I don't think this type of schema change is possible.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos