Using jr:choice-name() in the Instance_Name setting

Jump to solution
05-04-2021 05:37 PM
GFernando
New Contributor III

I love using jr:choice-name() to return labels associated to select_one and select_multiple question. But I haven't been able to use it in the Instance_Name setting. It throws an invalid error.

I've only tested this on a windows 10 PC with the latest Survey123 field app.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Tip: Use a calculate question in your main survey worksheet and set its esriFieldType to null. Then reference your calculate in the instance_name expression.

View solution in original post

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KPyne,

jr:choice-name is currently not supported for instance_name. This also applies if the instance_name references a question with a calculation that uses jr:choice-name.

I encourage you to submit an enhancement request via Esri Support. Our Support team will assign an official enhancement number for your records. Similar requests from other customers can then be attached to the same enhancement request, which helps us assess demand for the enhancement and prioritize it accordingly.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Tip: Use a calculate question in your main survey worksheet and set its esriFieldType to null. Then reference your calculate in the instance_name expression.

KPyne
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I can not seem to get this to work....I have a calculate question that uses jr:choice-name to populate the label value. It works fine throughout the form. But when called in the instance name it is blank

Using the latest iOS field app

Capture.JPGexample.JPG

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KPyne,

jr:choice-name is currently not supported for instance_name. This also applies if the instance_name references a question with a calculation that uses jr:choice-name.

I encourage you to submit an enhancement request via Esri Support. Our Support team will assign an official enhancement number for your records. Similar requests from other customers can then be attached to the same enhancement request, which helps us assess demand for the enhancement and prioritize it accordingly.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
KPyne
by
Occasional Contributor

Ah thanks Philip, I misunderstood the original question thinking GFernando was able to use jr:choice-name() in a calculate question. I will revise the calculation

Oddly enough, the values do appear correctly in the sent/draft folder

Tim-Woodfield
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Was there any update on this feature or was there a way to be added to the enhancement request?

Thanks!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Tim-Woodfield,

There are no updates on this enhancement with 3.14 release, support for jr:choice-name in instance_name is still in the backlog.

Note this enhancement has not been raised by any customer as an official Esri Support enhancement, only discussed in Esri Community. If you would like to log it as an official enhancement with Esri Support, that will help prioritize and allow other customers to also attach their accounts to that enhancement.

Regards,

Phil.

TrishaSchlake
New Contributor III

As of Survey123 Connect version 3.17, this is still an issue. For those interested, there is an enhancement logged: ENH-000147356. Open a ticket with ESRI support to be attached to the same enhancement number to follow for updates and future implementation. 

SMauri
by
Occasional Contributor III

3.18.123...Still an issue...

How long will we still have to wait? 🤐

0 Kudos
JJ_Reyes
Occasional Contributor

@TrishaSchlake - is that the right Enhancement number? I tried searching here, but couldn't find anything under that number or a general topic search... 

0 Kudos