Unselected radio buttons/missing data bug

01-27-2016 02:25 PM
SofiaGuernica
New Contributor

Tested Devices:

IPad Air, IOS 9, Survey123 iOs app Version: 1.2.19

Windows 7x64 Survey123 Connect

I have a survey with two choice filters within a repeat group. This effectively creates data that is nested three times.

Survey Data

|--------Location ("Area")

|--------Amenity Feature Type ("Feature")

|--------Amenity Element ("Element")

|--------Amenity Element Rating

Each element is defined by its Feature, each feature by its (respective) Area.

An issue arises when creating a new page and a different "area" or "feature" is selected, it erases nested data on previous pages. This issue can be repeated in three situations:

Situation #1- Input repeat data

Once I have selected "Inside" for the initial layer "Area", I completed the rest of the questions under this cascade on the first page of my survey. Then, I add the second page of the survey. Working from the second page of the survey, I first select "Outside" for my initial "Area" field and continue to complete questions nested under the cascade. When I return to page one, the "Features" and "Element" fields are unselected even though they were previously selected.

Situation 1 page 1.png

Situation 1 page 2.png

Situation 1 page 3.png

situation 1 page 2 bug.png

situation 1 page 1 bug.png

*If you have multiple pages, going back one page will unselect  "Features" and "Element" fields. Going back two pages will unselect only the "Features" field. Going back additional pages will be normal; they will remain selected.

Situation #2- Input repeat data using new "Feature"

Once I have  selected "Inside" for the initial layer "Area", nested underneath, I have selected "Interior Entryway". Then, I add the second page of the survey. Working from the second page of the survey, I first select "Inside" for my initial field again. Next, I select a different option for the field nested under the first layer of the cascade (e.g. "restrooms" instead of "inside") and completed the rest of the question under the cascade. When I return to page one, JUST the "Element" field is unselected even though they were previously selected.*

Situation 2 page 1.png

Situation 2 page 2.pngsituation 2 page 3.pngsituation 2 page 2 bug.pngsituation 2 page 1 bug.png

Situation #3- Confirm missing data input from step 1

I have completed  2 pages of the survey and have selected the same radio buttons for the "Area", "Feature" and "Element" fields. However, if I leave the page 3 blank and toggle back to previous pages, selected fields become unselected.

*If you have multiple pages, going back one page will unselect  "Features" and "Element" fields. Going back two pages will unselect only the "Features" field. Going back additional pages will be normal; they will remain selected.

Instance#3 page1.PNGInstance#3 page 2.PNGInstance#3 page3.PNG

Please review the attached xlsForm for reference. Thanks for your help

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

Would somebody please comment on this question I can show this behavior as well. I am trying to figure out a work around that doesn't frustrate the engineers in the field.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

This was 4 years ago on version 1.2, there have been many changes to the behavior of calculations with repeats to address issues like this one.  Can you provide the version of Survey123 you are seeing this in, and possibly your XLSFile?  If you want, feel free to e-mail me at jtedrick AT Esri.com

0 Kudos
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

Thanks James I will email. I need to make a test survey to show both issues that doesn't expose any proprietary information. The jist of the problem is that I loose data with any questions that is conditionally relevant. This causes two problems the first is similar to the above where data is lost after entering it on the form. The second is that if I set a default answer or calculate a default answer for a select one question (question with domain list) then I can't hide the question with a relevant condition. I was reading the survey 123 documentation and it explicitly states that select one questions have to be relevant to set an answer. I have created a workaround for what I was trying to do in both cases but I would like to do what I thought was logical and efficient.

Michael

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

One thing I see right away is you have a field called feature but that is a reserved word.  It seems like you took out all the stuff on the types page for some reason.  That may be why 123 did not catch this.  I would not take stuff out of your sheets like that.  It is all connected.

I learned that if a list name is the same as a field that causes weird issues also.

Hope that helps.  

0 Kudos