Select to view content in your preferred language

Thumbnails get lost

05-06-2019 01:54 PM
MelanieLauffenburger
Emerging Contributor

Hi there,

does anyone know why the thumbnail always disappears from my survey?

Thanks for your help...

Tags (1)
20 Replies
AlainChouinard
Regular Contributor

I have the same issue. Here is my workaround : I add the thumbnail to the Form and the Feature layer in ArcGIS Online, just like I use to do with any map or app or other content.

0 Kudos
MelanieLauffenburger
Emerging Contributor

Hi Jim,

I removed the spaces, special characters and symbols (+ plus sign and ü umlaut) from the filename, replaced the thumbnail and published the Survey again.

Now the thumbnail stays where it should be.

Many thanks for the help!

Best regards,

Melanie

Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melanie

Thanks for the follow-up, that's great to hear it's working now. I'll endeavour to add to this post any info on the thumbnail filename issue if/when an update is available.

Best regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
TI
by
Frequent Contributor

I have been experiencing this problem with only one of our surveys.  Removing the spaces from the thumbnail image name appears to have fixed it for that survey.  Thanks for this advice!

Note that other surveys appear to be OK with spaces in their thumbnail image names.  Weird.

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the additional feedback. That is strange; for the surveys that appear to be OK - were these downloaded to Connect at any point? Is there more than one thumbnail image file in the survey folder?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello, I have the same issue as the other users on this thread:

I'm creating forms in Survey 123 Connect v3.5.157. In Settings, I choose for the thumbnail a .png with no spaces in the name and all lowercase including the file extension. Before publishing, the Thumbnail appears as I expect in S123 Connect Settings tab. After I publish I do not see the thumbnail in My Surveys on AGO/S123, and when I close and reopen my survey in Connect I no longer see the thumbnail. 

Thanks,

Katie

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Katie Andrews

Thanks for the info. Can you see the thumbnail in the field app? After publishing, if you then download the survey to Connect does the thumbnail appear? And/or does an a new .png file appear in the survey's folder?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jim, after choosing the thumbnail image .png in Survey 123 Connect, Settings, General and I Publish the survey, I can see the .png in the survey folder (not media folder) in My Survey Designs. But, I do not see the image when I view My Surveys in Survey 123 on AGO, rather I see the default green notebook image.

After I close Survey 123 Connect and reopen it, I no longer see my custom thumbnail image in Settings, General, rather I just see the default green notebook image but I do still see that my .png is in the survey folder in My Survey Designs.

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Katie. What is the size and dimensions of your PNG file? Are you able to successfully upload this same file as the thumbnail via the Form item details page in ArcGIS Online, or by going to Edit Survey Info from the survey's menu in the Survey123 website?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jim - 

The PNG file is 333 x 228. I am able to upload the same thumbnail file via Edit Survey Info in the Survey 123 website. When I view My Downloads form the iOS app, the thumbnail is visible, however after I download it and view the surveys downloaded to my phone, I no longer see the thumbnail.

0 Kudos