Thumbnails get lost

05-06-2019 01:54 PM
MelanieLauffenburger
New Contributor II

Hi there,

does anyone know why the thumbnail always disappears from my survey?

Thanks for your help...

Tags (1)
20 Replies
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melanie

Could you please describe in more detail the behaviour you're seeing? Is the survey thumbnail not displaying in Connect, the field app or in the web app? Would it be possible to attach the image file to this post? One thing to check is the file extension - Connect requires all image files used for thumbnails to have a lowercase file extension.

Thanks & regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
JackPalmer
New Contributor II

I also get this behaviour. Every time I republish/update a survey from connect, it wipes the thumbnail and I have to reupload the thumbnail and then republish again. It also appears to happen randomly more often than not. And then on some devices it doesn't show the thumbnail even if you redownload the latest survey yet I can the see the thumbnail in the Survey123 online and on my Connect, or sometimes it won't load in my connect yet its working on Survey123 online and devices. The behaviour of it is completed random.

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jack

Thanks for the details. Does the thumbnail display correctly in ArcGIS Online (for the feature service or Form item)?

Would it be possible to attach the thumbnail image file so I can test?

Jack Palmer and Melanie Lauffenburger - which versions of Connect and field app are you running?

Thanks & best regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
JackPalmer
New Contributor II

Hi Jim,

The thumbnail image is just a basic png file. Only ~9KB in size or so. Running Connect V3.3.51 and the field app is the latest android/iOS releases. They seem to show correctly right after a recent republish in my Survey123 Portal site. However it definitely needs to be re-added everytime you republish the survey. Sometimes I will just refresh the page/app and they won't be there. It's bizarre.

Cheers

0 Kudos
MelanieLauffenburger
New Contributor II

Hi Jack, Hi Jim,

That is the Picture i woukd like to take for the Thumbnail of the Survey "YouthCityExplorer_18_04_2019".

what Jack describes  is exactly representing my Problem: "Every time I republish/update a survey from connect, it wipes the thumbnail and I have to reupload the thumbnail and then republish again. It also appears to happen randomly more often than not".

In that case the thumbnail is neither display correct in ArcGIS, nor in Connect, the filed-app or the web app. 

I'm using Survey 123 Connect Version 3.3.51.

Thanks & best regards,

Melanie

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melanie & Jack

Melanie thanks for sharing the thumbnail image and thanks both for the additional info.

I've done some testing using your image (Stadt_für_Alle+-+Kopie.png). After publishing, the thumbnail disappears from the survey's tile in the Connect gallery. The image appears as expected in the field app, Survey123 website and ArcGIS Online items.

If I remove the spaces, special characters and symbols (+ plus sign and ü umlaut) from the filename, replace the thumbnail and publish again the thumbnail is displayed in the Connect gallery as expected. I've logged this issue in our system and will post any updates to this thread.

In the meantime, the workaround is to rename the image file and publish the survey again; or download the survey to Connect (which will refresh the local thumbnail file with the online version). Could you please give this a try and let me know how it goes?

Jack Palmer - just to assist with our investigation, does your image filename contain any spaces, special characters or symbols?

Best regards,
Jim

JackPalmer
New Contributor II

Hi Jim,

Thanks for this. My thumbnail names all have spaces in them yes but no special characters. This could potentially be the issue, I will wait to hear back from you guys on whether you think this is definitely the issue. Although to add to your information, redownloading or refreshing my surveys within Connect doesn't refresh my image into connect for me. Thankfully it's not a major issue for myself in Connect my end, as long as end users can see the thumbnails (which appears to be the case) on their devices as they are colour coded for the survey type/department etc.

Cheers,

Jack

Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jack

Many thanks for the additional info. When you download your survey in Connect, does a new image file appear in the survey's folder? If so, how does its filename differ from the original?

Cheers,

Jim

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliams1
Occasional Contributor III

What an easy fix. Thank you, I removed the space and the periods, and it looks like that worked.