Thumbnail keeps disappearing

Jump to solution
03-14-2019 08:06 AM
WilmaRobertson
New Contributor III

The last two days I am having a lot of trouble getting the Thumbnail to "stick" with a survey using Survey 123 Connect.  I set the thumbnail, and then as soon as I get out of the survey it is gone again.  I have not had this problem prior to this week.  I tried both using a .png and a .jpg.  Any suggestions?   Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Wilma,

I think this is caused by Connect being case sensitive to thumbnail image file extensions. Please rename an image that is currently failing to lowercase (.jpg or .png) and retry. Note that Connect currently requires all lowercase file extension, ie .Png will also fail.

Please let me know how you go.

Thanks,

Brett

View solution in original post

14 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Wilma,

We haven't seen this before.  Is there anything unusual about the file names of the images?

0 Kudos
WilmaRobertson
New Contributor III

James,

Thank you for looking into my thumbnail issue! I have made a little video that shows that happens. Besides the video I have also attached the two images I am trying to use. I know the Slide2 is rather large (1.64MB), but the TwinFallsV3.JPG behaves the same way and also fails.

I have not had this issue before….

Wilma

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The TwinFallsV3 works for me.  Just to check, are you using the current version of Survey123 (3.3)?  There were a few issues around thumbnails that we addressed as part of 3.1.

0 Kudos
WilmaRobertson
New Contributor III

I am using Survey 123 Connect version 3.3.51

0 Kudos
WilmaRobertson
New Contributor III

No, not really anything unusual.  "TwinFalls.jpg" and "TwinFalls.png". Neither worked.

0 Kudos
WilmaRobertson
New Contributor III

I did some more testing.  When I make thumbnails I like to use PowerPoint to create the logo. I then export the slide to a .jpg or .png and try using that as my thumbnail.  This fails.  However, when I load the image I created via PowerPoint into the Paint application and then save it from there it seems to work. Makes me wonder if there is something about the way PowerPoint exports to a .jpg or .png file that makes it not work in Survey123.  At least there seems to be a workaround.  

BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Wilma,

I think this is caused by Connect being case sensitive to thumbnail image file extensions. Please rename an image that is currently failing to lowercase (.jpg or .png) and retry. Note that Connect currently requires all lowercase file extension, ie .Png will also fail.

Please let me know how you go.

Thanks,

Brett

Danielle_Papineau
Occasional Contributor II

Oh my gosh!  Thank you so much for posting this Brett Stokes‌!  I was having the same issue of my thumbnail disappearing and have never had this issue in any other survey, so I was stumped.  My file extension was .JPG and as soon as I changed it to .jpg, it stuck.  I had never heard of Connect requiring all lowercase file extensions, so glad to know!

Danielle

AllenDailey1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks, changing the file extension to lower case solved this problem for me!!  btw, for future viewers of this thread, if you can't figure out how to change the file extension to lower case (I didn't at first), I recommend this website: 4 ways to change the file extension to uppercase/lowercase in Windows