Surveys without geopoint

04-25-2016 07:04 AM
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

We are getting data from a survey and are finding that if the phone service is non-existent or location services are not turned on for a device, we do not get a geopoint with the survey. Normally not a problem but we are using geoevent to send notification emails for each survey that is completed (typically around 30 per day) that are needed in as real-time as we can. When there is no geopoint data with the survey results, geoevent does not trigger and send the email. Is there any way around this where we can default in a lat/long? For this app, we are collecting all of our data at a known location (well pad). Is there anyway to force a point even at 0,0 if location services are not turned on or service is sparse?

Thanks,

--gary

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why not turn location services on?  Most devices have a dedicated GPS and will get a location offline.  We do it all the time.

I guess you could also have a script kick off that geocodes that address it was collected at.

0 Kudos
HannahFerrier

Hi Gary,

The ability to set a default value for a geopoint question will be available in the next version of Survey123.

This will allow you to specify a location that is to be used if your device cannot get a position.

Hannah

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Excellent! This will also keep us from having the situation we have with the attached image. We are drilling a well and have 3 distinct drill locations on site. As you can see, all of the survey locations are in the general area but not at the specific point. We will have to clean this up but having the ability to specify the point location will make the survey location point be exactly where we want it to be.

Thanks,

--gary

Gary H. Bowles

GIS Database Administrator II | Seneca Resources

Office : 412-548-2544 | Cell Phone: 412-334-5273

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Hannah,

Will we be able to select the value based on a cascading select? We would like to load values for each drill location and based upon the selection of the location/project/well.

Thanks,

--gary

Gary H. Bowles

0 Kudos
HannahFerrier

Yes, but you may need to do some string manipulation as well...

The values for the geopoint question will be space-separated list of valid latitude (decimal degrees), longitude (decimal degrees), altitude (decimal meters) and accuracy (decimal meters) where altitude and accuracy are optional.

If you want to place geopoint values in a choice list, you will need to remove the spaces as spaces are not allowed in the name column. I have been using an underscore in place of the space, then creating substrings of the geopoint values on either sides of the underscores and then concatenating them back together with spaces in between.

I will make sure that a sample is available when the next release 

- Hannah

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Hannah,

Will the setting of the geopoint values automatically override the location settings of the device or will the location settings need to be turned off for this to work?

--gary

0 Kudos
HannahFerrier

Gary,

The calculated location will be used until the user selects the GPS icon on the geopoint question, or moves the pin on the map page. You can set your geopoint questions to readonly to prevent the user from changing the default location.

Hannah

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

What about if I don’t have a geopoint question in my survey? Will the calculated location be used?

--gary

Gary H. Bowles

0 Kudos