Select to view content in your preferred language

Surveying of existing polygon feature dataset. Survey123 or Fieldmaps?

Jump to solution
11-12-2023 08:00 PM
GISMac
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

I need to create a survey based on existing polygon data which will feed survey results into a map and dashboard.

I am having difficulty trying to decide which path to go down due the pros and cons of both Survey123 and Field maps in this case.

What I want to do:

• Identify a site where the survey needs to be conducted (visually would be a bonus)
  • Add survey info to existing polygon feature, there is potential that this will need to contain a repeat function.
  • Send email notifications via Power Automate when certain survey responses are triggered.
  • Show survey info on a dashboard
  • Show status of polygon data (this will be determined by a survey question) in a dashboard 

I think Survey123 is going to be my only option due to the fact I may need a repeat question but is there a way to link this survey data to a polygon dataset so that it updates when the survey is filled in? It has been a while since I have done this and all I can recall is having a link within a pop-up in ArcCollector. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hannah

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GISMac
by
New Contributor II

Update: I managed to get most of what I wanted done by doing the following:

1. Using a combo of Survey123 and Field Maps
  2. Giving the existing polygon data a lat and long in fieldmaps using expressions
  3. Adding a URL link to the polygon popups based on each polygons lat and longs (&centre=function) - fortunately centroids worked for my data
  4. Adding pull data functions from the polygon data/geopoint in Survey123

This means that when the user selects the existing polygon then the URL, the Survey123 is opened with the geopoint on the site, automatically pulling data for that site into the survey! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

Your last comment about having a popup in Collector is what immediately came to mind for me in this case.

You can do a similar workflow in Field Maps where a popup link launches your Survey123 form, passing in your feature's Global ID to automatically link your survey back to the main feature.

Here's the Survey123 reference page for this type of integration, but if you search for "Survey123 field maps integration" on here you'll find other posts on the subject, it comes up fairly regularly.

I think this should solve all of the bullet-pointed requirements you have, possibly with the exception of the last one, having your status in a repeatable related dataset can be a tricky thing to display in a dashboard or a web map, you should be able to solve that with a Data Expression (written in Arcade) in a dashboard however (perhaps not displaying the result as part of your symbology, but at least in a list or an indicator).  A hosted feature layer join could do it as well, but I generally avoid those because of the ripple effects they have on your service's schema.

GISMac
by
New Contributor II

Update: I managed to get most of what I wanted done by doing the following:

1. Using a combo of Survey123 and Field Maps
  2. Giving the existing polygon data a lat and long in fieldmaps using expressions
  3. Adding a URL link to the polygon popups based on each polygons lat and longs (&centre=function) - fortunately centroids worked for my data
  4. Adding pull data functions from the polygon data/geopoint in Survey123

This means that when the user selects the existing polygon then the URL, the Survey123 is opened with the geopoint on the site, automatically pulling data for that site into the survey! 

0 Kudos