Survey123 won't load TPK map from device Map Library

09-28-2018 11:41 AM
jonataspovoas
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm creating a survey that requires an offline map. I copied the TPK file, with the right specifications named on the link bellow to the the right folder on the device. I can see the map on the map library of the device's survey123 app, but when I run my survey, It says that map visualization is not available. I tryed to compose the forminfo.json file, but without a documentation, I have no idea of what i'm doing...

Here's my forminfo.json:

{
    "name": "Questionary",
    "type": "xform",
    "displayInfo": {
        "map": {
            "mapTypes": {
                "append": false,
                "includeLibrary": true
            }
        }
    }
}

and here the link mencioned earlier:

Prepare basemaps for offline use—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jonatas,

Is the TPK in Web Mercator projection using the "ArcGIS Online/Google Maps/Bing Maps" tiling system?

0 Kudos
KyttMacManus
New Contributor II

Hi James, I am having the same issue running Android V 3.2.265

Has there been any resolution on this?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
jonataspovoas
New Contributor III

Hi James,

Yes it is.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Me 3.  Tried everything and it just plain will not list.  Can we Please change this back to the way it was!  Please. 

Just pick a dir and load them like before.  It used to be so easy and slick (esp compared to Collector) and now it is rather useless.  (I could point Survey to my 3rd party app dir that had 30+ tpks in it and just use them right away.  Was so cool.)  Now it is way too much for the avg user and just a time consuming pain for us admins.  I could see adding a way to NOT list them but to have all these hoops just to list a dir is just plain not working.  Maybe I am missing something but I just see 0 benefit to having to manually edit them just to get them in the list.

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

You can still place the tpks on the device in any folder and via the Settings -> Storage options in the app point the folder location for the tpks (and you can have multiple folders listed) via the file path entries to those folders. That functionality has not changed in the app - the documentation explains here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/preparebasemaps.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_2AE91E3....

The Prepare basemaps for offline use documentation that mentions editing the .info file is for when you are trying to use a shared hosted tpk that you want to associate to the survey: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/preparebasemaps.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_81F9881...

If this is not working, can you give details about the app version, device make/model/OS version, copy of the tpk file is possible, and the file path to folder as it shows in the app settings.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Phil.  I have now got other very simple TPKs to work.  This is a advanced user that was simply trying to use the same TPK from last year that worked fine.  I gave the simple TPK to the user and they can see it but they still cannot see the other one in the same dir next to it.  It is 9GB but I know of no limit unless one was introduced?  The SDcard is encrypted by the tablet - could that be it?  Again the other file in the exact same place works however.  I also confirmed the TPK works in ArcMap just fine.  It is in the correct projection.

Using Android Samsung Active 2 v8 and the user is Samsung S2 Android 7.0.

Any other reason you can think of why it would not list it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

The reason you can not see the larger more complex tpk file is that Survey123 currently only supports tpk file sizes up to 2gb. This has always been the case since the first release of Survey123. It is due the way the pointer for the tpk files has been developed which is currently only 32-bit, meaning file sizes can not be more than 2048 mb. We are working on removing this limitation in the future by using a new geoservices plugin in the app, however for now it is known limitation and is documented here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/preparebasemaps.htm#GUID-632E57F8-9FA8-46....

Regards,

Phil.