Survey123 required fields not working as expected

02-15-2019 07:27 AM
EricS
by
Occasional Contributor

I have a survey that has multiple required fields.  In the desktop survey123 the order of required messages pops up in the order of questions asked: meaning that the first unanswered required field pops up the message then the second then third etc....  However in the IOS app on my phone it does not follow this pattern.  Example my first required field is "Crew Number".  If I submit a blank survey my required field message that appears is a required field "Organization Name" much farther down the line of questions asked.  It is also a question that only appears as prerequisite of prior question answered.  If I answer the Organization name then it will ask for crew number requirement.  If I answer the crew number question the next required field will be my "Location" which does not follow the order.  It is not a logical pattern.  Is this something that can be fixed in the xls form?  Im using version 3.2.265 for reference. 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Eric,

It could be related tot he type of questions they are, for instance select one versus text input, some questions are validated differently using a different process. Can you share a copy of your survey and details of exactly which questions name and which order this occurs in.

The strange thing is that this behaviour should be the same on all OS versions, there should not be difference on iOS versus Windows.

Phil.

0 Kudos
EricS
by
Occasional Contributor

Phil

I have attached the xls form.  Also when checking this further I found that if I choose AIR as my "Select Survey Type"  answer, the survey asks for location as a required field(which is located as last question). When I answer the location question the survey will be able send even though I have not finished answering all the required questions in the AIR group.  Could you verify you are getting the same thing
Thanks
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing your survey. It appears a previously found bug that was affecting repeats and required questions that are relevant, also affects groups (even when not using repeats). I have updated the internal bug for this issue and we will be aiming to address this in the 3.4 release.

You can see my previous comments here: https://community.esri.com/thread/229359-required-message-not-working-in-all-repeats#comment-834155 

For now you will need to remove the relevant statement on those questions for the required validation to work correctly.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
IshwarDhami1
New Contributor II

I am also having the similar issue with conditionally required question.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ishwar,

If you are using required validation and relevant statements on a question inside a repeat or group, we have a known bug for this now, see reply above or here: https://community.esri.com/thread/229359-required-message-not-working-in-all-repeats#comment-834155 

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey phillip Wilson‌, I am also seeing this behavior in a my form. The required fields are not working (the survey is submit-able without filling them out) outside of a repeat or group as well. I have attached the survey here. This issue is happening on an IOS device with the newest version of survey123.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

one more comment on this - in both android and ios the issue is happening for location, where I can submit even when location says (no location) and the location field is required. The app is no automatically pulling the location either, the points are showing up on null island.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Philip Wilson‌ got the right one tagged now!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for sharing your findings, I believe the same issue mentioned in the above comments is also affecting your survey and required geopoint questions. We are aiming to resolve this in 3.4 release.

Phil.

0 Kudos