Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 Report Insert Text for Null Values

07-25-2022 12:41 PM
RyanMcKenna
New Contributor II

Hello,

Is there a way to have the feature report insert conditional text when no response was entered in Survey123?

I have a monthly inspection form with 15 numeric questions, but depending on conditions on site, some may be left blank intentionally. The project manager want to insert a text value like "N/A" or "Not Collected" in the report table rather then hiding these rows or leaving them blank.

I have tired ${decimal_1}${if decimal_1 == “”} N/A${/} based on another post, but this does not insert anything in the report, and ${select2}${if select2 != “”} N/A${/} which inserts "N/A" whether the question was answered or not.

I know I can add some calculations in the Survey123 form to flag if the question was answered as a work around but I would rather not as it changes the output table and adds to the development cost and I feel like there must be a way this can be accomplished in the feature reports.

Thanks

Ryan

4 Replies
GregKeith
Occasional Contributor III

Enter a default value. 

0 Kudos
RyanMcKenna
New Contributor II

This is not always possible. If we are collecting something like pH or Temperature in the field, you cannot really add a default number to it if you did not measure it. 

0 Kudos
GregKeith
Occasional Contributor III

Could you default to something like -999 to indicate no measurement? Toxicologists here sometimes use the minimum detectable level in place of NA when having to use numeric values, since they can't actually say 0 when something could be present below detectable levels.

Another option, maybe: convert numeric values to text in another field in the survey and use that for your report.

0 Kudos
MattEdrich
Occasional Contributor

@RyanMcKenna did you ever happen to work out a solution for this? I, and many others on the forums, have tried exactly what you originally posted ( ${if ...==""}<TEXT>${/} ) to no avail. I read one forum post earlier with a response from an Esri Product Engineer that even signed off on that syntax, so it seems even Esri doesn't know how to do it if it is possible...

0 Kudos