Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 - Handling relationships for non-spatial data offline

01-18-2024 04:26 PM
EM-wsp
by
Occasional Contributor

I develop a survey to be used offline. The data is non-spatial and consists of several tables with one-to-many relationships. My form fills a child data but needs to handle a relationship to a parent.

If my data were spatial, I would create an offline map, make a user choose a parent feature on it and open Survey123 from a popup parsing the globalID of a parent to a child form to handle a relationship.

But my data cannot be shown on a map. I am even not sure how a user takes it offline. So question1 is:

1. Does Survey123 allow to take offline non spatial data?

Even it I took my data offline to an sqlite, it doesn't seen to be a way to query DB from a Survey123 form in order to retrieve globalIDs of a parent.

2. Can I query an sqlite db from Survey123?

I thought that I might download parent data to CSV and store it into media folder of my survey to query it from there. But the parent data is dynamic and often updated so I would need a user to make CSV files updated every time they start a survey. CSV update is possible with Python API but I am not sure if it would work on a tablet especially if I'd like it run in the background.

3. Is there any smooth way to regulary update the survey media folder on a tablet while it is online?

Another option would be to make a dummy form with the embedded links to child survey which includes a globalID of a parent. Such a form could be generated while a user is online. But I am not sure what happens if a user gets offline and accidently closes the form. Could it be restored while offline?

4. Any way to save/protect a current view of a form (embedded links in notes) while a device is offline?

Another workaround of a same kind would be to generate an html file with the embedded links.

Please, let me know if anything of these makes sense or if there are other ways to make it work.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
0 Replies