Survey123 Experience Builder widget in edit mode deleting hidden values

Jump to solution
03-29-2024 05:25 PM
Rar_Katia
New Contributor II

I'm building an Experience Builder with a number of surveys. One of the windows is the edit mode of a survey to allow my user to switch feature status from open to closed. The problem is that in my original survey, much of it calculates values behind the scene to not overwhelm the user with information, and these hidden values don't carry over after the edit is made in edit mode. I can reveal the values, but that makes them editable, and the same issue happens when the values are read only enabled. 

Has anyone run into this issue? Is there a workaround? My concern is that I don't want my user to accidentally change the values by disabling read only, but there seems to be no other option. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor
If it's a select_one question, drop down should be available

Try building a form in map viewer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

If users are doing a different workflow (edit > closed), a different survey or app is easiest. Remove the questions, calculations, or set a body-visible parameter clause to hide them.

If it has to be the same survey, you can use calculation mode parameters to avoid re-calculating. whenEmpty. Or in the calculations, things like Once. But then users get stuck in the first survey, so the earlier option - different tool for different workflow - is best.

Rar_Katia
New Contributor II

I definitely would prefer a different survey, but how would I set that up to update the original dataset? I have never made anything with webhooks/power automate but would be willing to give it a try if it's worked for others in the past. Is there a process you would recommend?

The reason I have it set up as a single survey is because I need to mark when those submitted features switch to closed. Hence trying to edit the survey data using the original survey.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor
If they're just changing one value, you could add an Edit widget and use a
form to update just that one attribute. Not survey123.
0 Kudos
Rar_Katia
New Contributor II

Two values, first is marking the feature as closed and second is a date field.

The "Open" or "Closed" is used in a secondary survey via a pulldata so I'm trying to use a dropdown to limit the user's possible inputs. I don't think that can be done using the Edit widget, or can it?

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor
If it's a select_one question, drop down should be available

Try building a form in map viewer.
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just use the Submission URL on the settings page.   It is not as hard as it sounds really.  Just do some searches and you will get it.  There is even a support article here  https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-create-survey123-for-arcgis-surveys-that-connec...

Basically 123 just dumps data into feature services.  You can connect to that service through as many forms as you want.

Test this on your testing service first of course.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
Rar_Katia
New Contributor II

I will give all this a try. Thanks for the advice (both of you!)

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you using the Field Maps/Web form Edit widget or the Survey123 widget?  The regular edit widget is meant for the web forms and the Arcade expressions that go with it and will not run, or even understand 123 calcs.  If you use the Survey123 widget then they should work.  Two totally different systems.

0 Kudos
Rar_Katia
New Contributor II

It's the survey123 widget.

0 Kudos