Survey123 Connect Crashing from CSV File

03-25-2019 06:14 AM
SeanHorman
New Contributor

I have a CSV with 4700 rows, 20 columns.  When I open the survey in connect it crashes.  If I remove the CSV file from the media folder everything works fine.

So my question is, would it be the size of the file causing the issue?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I assume you mean a external_choices sheet?  If so make sure there are no special chars in your name OR label Or any other custom field.  Big one is commas.  I had a few buried in my choice list labels and it messed up a bunch of stuff.  Also watch out for \, etc.

Also can try a copy to a brand new Excel and save.  Make sure to do Paste Values when you do this.

0 Kudos
SeanHorman
New Contributor

Yeah using it as a pulldata sheet to perform some calculations based off survey selections.  I thought that may have been the problem so I went through and removed everything even spaces, still same situation of crashing. 

I have found that after successfully launching the survey if I move the file back into the media folder it will perform as normal.  This is causing some real head scratching for myself, I even uninstalled/reinstalled Connect.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried deleting the xls it makes complexity from the file system (move it no real delete) and let Connect remake it from the external_choices?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looking at your sheet I have two more guesses.

One is your values in the first column are really long.  One was 82 chars.  Not sure if you are hitting a limit.

Two is you have columns with only numbers as the Name of the column.  Try something like Column1 instead of just 1.

SeanHorman
New Contributor

Ok replacing the column names from numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 worked so far.  Thank you for the suggestion, I'll update if I find anything else.

Thanks for the idea!

0 Kudos