Survey123 Android App Crash when Open a Survey

12-18-2019 01:34 PM
KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have 2 Android users that are encountering the same issue with the same survey. This also occurs on my desktop computer.

Test 1: When they first open Survey123 on their Android device and open "Survey A" the app crashed. 

Test 2: When they first open Survey123 on their Android device and open "Survey B" then go back to the survey list and open "Survey A" the app does not crash. 

I have attached the loggers from their phones and my desktop for both tests.

Our iOS users do not have this issue.

Phone related to JR loggers

Make/Model: Samsung-SM-G900V

OS Version: Android version 6.01

Survey123 AppStudio Info:

Version 3.6.157

AppFramework version 4.0.93
Device Architecture: armv7I
QTVersion: 5.12.3
OS Version: 6.0
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-8025411
SSL Library Version: OpenSSL 1.0.2s 28 May 2019
Locale: en_US American English

ArcGIS Runtime Version: 100.6.0.2514
License Type: Named User (1)
License Level: Basic (2)
License Status: Valid (3)
License Expiry: Friday January 17, 2020 2:03:13 PM PST

User home path: /sdcard
Surveys folder: /sdcard/ArcGIS/MySurveys
Maps Library: /sdcard/ArcGIS/Mys Surveys/Maps
Token Expiry: Wednesday December 18, 2019 2:33:11 PM PST

AppFramework Display Scale Factor: 1
Screen:
Dimensions: 360 X 640
Device Pixel Ratio: 3
Pixel Density: 5.551839464882943

Phone related to ML loggers - Factory Reset and Updates solved the issue.

Make/Model: Samsung Galaxy S6, SMG920V

OS Version: Android version 7.0

See attached screen shot.

Desktop Computer KP - Update to Survey123 solved the issue.

IntelR XenonR CPU E5-1620 v4 @ 3.5 GHz

16.0 GB

64Bit

Windows 10

Version 1803

OS Build 17134.1130

Thank you!

Katie.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Katherine,

What is the make and model of the Android devices? Also what OS version do they have installed?

Are you using the Android 64 bit or 32 bit version? You can check this in the About screen of the app in Settings, and press and hold on the AppStudio icon to expose additional About information. Please screenshot and send details.

Regards,

Phil.

KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

Phone related to JR loggers

Make/Model: Samsung-SM-G900V

OS Version: Android version 6.01

Version 3.6.157

AppFramework version 4.0.93
Device Architecture: armv7I
QTVersion: 5.12.3
OS Version: 6.0
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-8025411
SSL Library Version: OpenSSL 1.0.2s 28 May 2019
Locale: en_US American English

ArcGIS Runtime Version: 100.6.0.2514
License Type: Named User (1)
License Level: Basic (2)
License Status: Valid (3)
License Expiry: Friday January 17, 2020 2:03:13 PM PST

User home path: /sdcard
Surveys folder: /sdcard/ArcGIS/MySurveys
Maps Library: /sdcard/ArcGIS/Mys Surveys/Maps
Token Expiry: Wednesday December 18, 2019 2:33:11 PM PST

AppFramework Display Scale Factor: 1
Screen:
Dimensions: 360 X 640
Device Pixel Ratio: 3
Pixel Density: 5.551839464882943

Phone related to ML loggers

OS Version: Android version 7.0

Desktop Computer KP

IntelR XenonR CPU E5-1620 v4 @ 3.5 GHz

16.0 GB

64Bit

Windows 10

Version 1803

OS Build 17134.1130

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also, can you please provide a copy of the xlsx form for the survey, and any media folder files (csv, images etc)?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

Here is the XLS and the pull data file.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for sharing the survey xlsx file and media csv, as well as log files and additional Android device information.

I had a look at your xlsx file and it is a very large (500+ question) survey and many of the questions have complex relevance, calculations, required and constraint expressions. As well as this complexity, you have some large choice lists (mainly location) for the select one/multiple questions and a large pulldata() csv list.

The reason for the crash appears to be an out of memory error on the device. The log files do not report anything about a crash, because at the time the app crashes the logging stops so nothing related to the crash gets written to the logs. 

The Android device you are using is a Samsung S5 (~2014) which was shipped with Android 4.4, but appears to have been upgraded to Android 6.0 (the highest Android OS it will support). We no longer support Android 4.4 for 32-bit devices or Android 5.0 on 64-bit devices. This device is the lowest spec device we currently support from Samsung. Based on the device information above it is only 32-bit also as is an armv7 processor. Using a newer 64-bit device will help resolve the crash issues and out of memory issues greatly. The newer and faster the device is the less chance of a crash when using a complex and large survey.

We have seen these type of crashes before on low end, low memory, older devices, even old iOS devices. I tested your survey on our Samsung S6 (Android 6.0) and it did not crash. I was able to open the survey, complete all questions and choices, and submit successfully. We do not have a Samsung S5 to test with however. Because the survey is so large and complex it requires a higher spec device to ensure it does not run out of memory. The reason the same survey does not crash on iOS currently, is that the minimum iOS device we now support is an iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 which are a 64-bit device and supports up to with iOS 12, which is a much higher spec, faster device then a Samsung S5.

Unfortunately there is a lot we can do with older devices that have low memory and CPU when trying to use a complex and large survey form.

Regards,

Phil.

KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply.  It is very good to know these things.  We will do some more trouble shooting with this in mind.  I do find it odd thought that fairly consistently if another survey is loaded first of equal or greater size, the survey will load. Then if one backs out of that survey then opens the survey in question the survey in question will load successfully. 

Does this device also seem out of date/old?

0 Kudos
KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

The user of this phone did a factory reset, did updates and this seemed to work to fix the issues she saw with the app.  We will try this approach with the other phone to see what results we get with it.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Katherine,

Glad to hear you got the app and survey working better after a factory reset. This likely cleared up the OS files and memory making it faster and more reliable with less apps and system changes if it had been in use for a long time.

The device screenshot above of the About screen appears to be a 64-bit device with Android 7.0, similar to the device we have here for testing? Does the survey crash on this device, did you try factory reset also?

Phil.

0 Kudos
KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

The factory reset was on the newer phone that was also experiencing the same crashing issues as the older phone.  The older phone will be reset today or tomorrow so we will get the results from that soon, and I will post that here.