Survey with no spatial data

05-22-2019 12:08 PM
WaylonLang
New Contributor II

Is it possible to create a survey that feeds directly into a table on my sde via an AGO referenced feature service? The users are already using Survey 123 with an inspection where spatial information makes sense and is needed. Their other inspection, the spatial component really doesn't make sense and would end up just junk data. But I'd like to use Survey 123 since they are already familiar with this process. Is the above possible?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Waylon,

Yes, it is possible to author a survey against a table in SDE; it will need to be served out in a Feature Service using ArcGIS Server.  For more information, refer to Use Survey123 with existing feature services—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
WaylonLang
New Contributor II

Thank you for the response. I had tried creating a feature service with a dummy feature layer since you cannot create a feature service with just a table. I referenced the service in AGO. However when you create the survey off the feature service it goes off the dummy feature layer. As far as I can tell Survey 123 always creates off the first feature layer in the service. Mind you the table I want to collect on is not related to the feature layer nor do I want it to be. I tried referencing just the table layer from the feature service in AGO ex. https://xxxx/xxxx/xxx/FeatureServer/1 , however when you create a new survey in Connect off the referenced layer it just sits there and spins forever.

Is there a certain way to reference/access just this table in the feature service? Is there a setting or edit in the survey folder I need to make? I could be missing something as I am by no means an expert with Survey 123.

0 Kudos
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Waylon,

I haven't used SDE, but I have users doing a project with a spatial and non-spatial form. The spatial form recorded GPS location and a few other variables. The non-spatial form recorded inspection information. To relate the two forms and their features services, I created a feature service in AGOL using spatial join and related the two datasets together based on a common field. As each form is populated, the 'spatial join' feature captures the combined information from the two forms.

This probably doesn't solve your table problem, but might give an alternative approach for your staff to use.

Craig

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Waylon, 

Survey123 Connect assumes the 0 layer is the parent layer of the survey.  You could manually set the IDs to make the table 0 and the layer 1 (see Introduction to sharing web layers—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop) or you can then fill in the fields into the question, as indicated in the Survey123 documentation.

0 Kudos