Survey points in wrong location

01-04-2024 11:49 AM
KKelechenyi
New Contributor III

Hello, I am working with Survey123 Web Designer 3.19 to create a super simple form.  I am using the survey widget in Experience Builder (ExB), and have toggled the 'send data to this survey' option so the users can click on a polygon to set the location and auto-populate the associated attributes.  However, the survey results layer is locating the survey points at the 0,0 location near west Africa, not inside the selected polygon. The other views of that same feature service populate correctly 90% of the time, but not always. I have personally submitted all the survey responses thus far to test the results, and I have my allowed access to my location on both my PC's browser and my mobile phone.  I have edited the extent of the results layer, and updated spatial indexes.

Is there a setting on the web designer version of Survey123 that would remedy this? I have read that there is a setting on the map tab in Survey123 Connect, but I don't know if that is available in Web Designer.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Something being located at 0,0 typically indicates that their location data is turned off and they didn't touch the geopoint.

You said you checked off 'send data to this survey'. What data are you feeding in (after checking the first option, you then need to specify what data goes where)?

0 Kudos
KKelechenyi
New Contributor III

I have configured the field/question connections to include several fields: Maintenance ID, priority, maintenance schedule, and equipment.  I saw an option for shape in the fields dropdown, but I am unsure what question type I can link that to. Can I use that somehow to inform the placement of the point?  I don't have a geopoint question configured now because I have the survey widget next to the map I'm using to populate the survey fields.  I have x,y coordinates calculated in my polygon layer, can I use those to affect the point placement?

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Short answer is "yes".

You will need to add a geopoint question (it can be a hidden question). Then, you would feed your polygon's x,y data into that geopoint. After that, your survey submissions should appear in the correct spot.

Essentaially, you need 3 fields:

• text field for latitude. This is a container. Dump your lat into here.
  • text field for longitude. This is a container. Dump your lat into here. 
  • geopoint. This will use a calculate to center the point on the map, thus giving your surveys location data!

Here is what is looks like in Connect:

abureaux_1-1704410078549.png

EDIT. Forgot to include what the other half looks like in Experience Builder:

abureaux_4-1704410353288.png

Two notes:

• You may need to set default=null for the geopoint for it to work.
  • Doesn't matter in your case since the geopoint will be hidden, but the S123 geopoint doesn't like to zoom in. E.g.:
    abureaux_2-1704410208326.png
0 Kudos
KKelechenyi
New Contributor III

Thanks for your time and for that suggestion.  I was trying not to use Survey123 Connect for such a short survey, but I will if I need to.  Any idea if this can be accomplished in the Web Designer 'drag and drop' version?

0 Kudos