Survey allowed to be submitted when required questions are not answered

04-08-2019 08:14 AM
ForestSwaciak
Emerging Contributor

I have been working on a survey and have been having a problem, when completed in the Survey123 app only, where it can be submitted without answering questions that have been marked to be required. 

If the survey is complete with Survey123 Connect, the expected error messages pop up when attempting to submit so this issue is only apparent when completing a survey within the mobile and desktop app.  

I tried looking at all of the questions having these issues and the most common relationship that these specific questions have with each other. They all have formulas written in the "Relevant" column that were made to hide questions when specific selections have been made. 

I deleted one of these Relevant fields and it did work by giving an error message when attempting to submit without this specific question answered. However, these relevant fields are needed for the survey so I still need them to be present. 

Is anyone aware of this issue and is it a known bug? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated to find a workaround to this problem. 

Thanks in Advanced. 

EDIT: When using an older version of the  Survey123 mobile app (3.0.149), the expected validation messages did appear requiring entry for the relevant required fields. Therefore, we think this is a bug with the latest release of the Survey123 mobile app.  

relevant‌ survey123app‌

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Could you please attach your XLSForm to this thread? @LeZu Alternatively, you can also email it to survey123@esri.com referencing this geonet thread with a link.

0 Kudos
LeZu
by
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for qucik respons! Here is a small example where I've set up some constraintes. So when leaving the field "Number" emtpy in the Survey123 Connect GUI, I get a popup-window with the (constraint)-message "Error" as expected. When publishing the form and leaving the same field "Number" empty on the web/in a borwser, I do not get the popup with the Errror-message and the form is possible to submit which is not what I want to happen - it should not be possible to submit with the field "Number" empty.

In the main form I am working with I have two fields, EMAIL and PHONE where the user needs to fill in one of them but not both of them. Therefore when submitting, I want to check if both of these fields are empty, if yes, I want to tell the user through a message that he/she needs to fill in one of the fields and the form shall NOT be possible to submit if both fields are empty. 

I tried to make this work by making the PHONE-field requried if the EMAIL-field is empty and vice verse but I did not manage to make it work - only one of the fields hade the possibiblity to check for the other field (using the "required"-field in the Excel-dokuemnt) - if making both check for each other I got an error message (but this is an other storie - I would rather make the above possible to work).

0 Kudos
KimBaillieul
Emerging Contributor

Hi Ismael, is there any update to this? I have a field survey deployed this is still a problem - answering a relevant section pops up a repeat, but if the user doesn't hit the + then they can skip required questions within the repeat. 

0 Kudos
LaurenceTait
Frequent Contributor

This is still happening when questions are hidden. There is no way to ensure that all required questions are answered if they have any value in the body::esri:visible or relevant fields. As soon as a question becomes invisible, the form will submit even if the question is blank.

0 Kudos
AndrewPadilla
Frequent Contributor

I am also experiencing a similar issue, with a web form while the field app works as expected. Any update on bug fixes?   I see that encasing each question that has both restraint and required or relevant  in a group may be a work around.  But looking for updates on bug fixes.  Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos