Survey 123 referenced non hosted data to export other formats (excel, csv) in the Survey123 site

Jump to solution
04-07-2022 05:27 PM
DanielMurillo
Occasional Contributor

Hello Survey123 users hope everyone is good:

I have been trying to clarify thru documentation if a behavior is possible or not, or if it was in the past:

Customer has Survey123 published against a REFERENCED feature layer (from Oracle DB), the survey works as it should, however, they notify us that at some point, after their Enterprise was upgraded to 10.9.1 from 10.8.1 they are not able to export the data from the Survey123 Data Tab when they administer the Survey.

I checked in our Enterprise 10.9.1 and what it does is the same as in theirs, (the export button goes on loop forever, however it does create an element in portal with the format that you chose to export, but if you download the element and open it in the computer it shows an error that the format is incorrect.

The only difference I saw in our 10.8.1 Enterprise is that it finishes the exporting and the downloading completes too in the browser, but again the, the resulting format is null.

Only thing I have is documentation that indicates that you cannot export from ArcGIS Server Feature Layer (referenced FL):

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/feature-layers.htm#ESRI_SECTION2_D41B1ACAD7AF4F89...

But still I am not sure if that functionality should work in Survey123 or if it used to work ?

Any help is appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

@DanielMurillo - this is currently a known limitation of the Survey123 website.

ArcGIS Online/Survey123 uses hosted feature data store functionality for the export operation, and even with the 'extract' capability rnabled for your referenced feature service, there will still be no capacity to use the export function from the Survey123 website's 'Data' tab.

There will be a software enhancement request lodged for this, as well as the associated documentation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Two parts to this - should using referenced feature services work, and why doesn't it in your case.

I can't see anything in the documentation to indicate that it will not work, but nothing that covers it. Usually the documentation is ok but the Survey123 Community blogs are better. There may be another resource around:
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/downloading-data-captured-with-survey123/bc-p/89...

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/browser/analyze-results/viewresults.htm#GUID-00EC0604-E0CA-4530-...

Assuming it is possible, you can do two things to check the service outside of Survey123:

• Is the Extract capability enabled on the feature service?
  • Can you extract a copy of the data to a file geodatabase via the service directly i.e. remove the Survey123 website?

It could just be something that isn't possible yet, which would be a good one to have an Idea/ENH request for. Or it could be configuration i.e. extract not configured. Or it could be an environment specific issue - like communication between portal/survey123/server. That will probably be best explored by tech support as they will have the time and resources.

DanielMurillo
Occasional Contributor

Hello @ChristopherCounsell , thanks for the links. they add some context too.

Now, I published the service with the extract option enabled, even.

And no, it is not possible to download the information via Feature Layer's overview tab option.

Yes, I am tech support agent for a distributor, I have been trying thru some means to get confirmation from ESRI if this is possible or not, but still I haven't had a yes or a no from someone from ESRI, besides the doc I pasted in the first comment.

But still as you are saying it might be worth to escalate vía ENH request, since this is a very obvious missing capability.

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

@DanielMurillo - this is currently a known limitation of the Survey123 website.

ArcGIS Online/Survey123 uses hosted feature data store functionality for the export operation, and even with the 'extract' capability rnabled for your referenced feature service, there will still be no capacity to use the export function from the Survey123 website's 'Data' tab.

There will be a software enhancement request lodged for this, as well as the associated documentation.

0 Kudos
DanielMurillo
Occasional Contributor

Hello @GlenShepherd I appreciate you keep noted of the ENH number when available.

Regards;

0 Kudos
FrankMancini
New Contributor III

@GlenShepherd is there an ENH logged for this?  Export from Survey123 is required functionality for referenced (non-hosted) Feature Services. 

0 Kudos