Survey 123 hyperlink to local file

Jump to solution
01-04-2017 08:45 AM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

I have created some help documentation for my survey 123 application and would like the user to be able to open the file via a  hyperlink displayed as a note in my form. My goal is to save a HTML page in the Media folder and have it upload with the form, which it does, however I can't seem to figure out the proper syntax for opening a file stored in the media folder using a relative path. I have tried the following:

<a href="file///.media/help.htm">Help</a>

<a href="media/help.htm">Help</a>

And while I am at it...is there a way to keep the "Help" hyperlink note at the top of the page and keep it from scrolling with the rest of the questions on the page?

Thanks,

Brent

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Hussam_AlJabri
Occasional Contributor III

Many thanks for your quick respond.

Will the URL be clickable?

I will do the following steps and please correct me:

1- adding new question note type.

2- Concatenate the link in the calculation such 

concat('<a href="M:\Substation\',${substation_name}," class="link external button button-raised button-fill color-blue">Check the photos of the Substation</a>')

3- once the records sent the link will be appear in the Hyperlink column and clickable

is this correct?

thanks

0 Kudos
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

Yes it will be a clickable hyperlink - looks good so far

0 Kudos
AmandaSapp
New Contributor II

Hello, Do you by chance have code that allows a website to be added to the XLS so once the survey is published to the Web form, the user can click the hyper link and another browser opens with the defined website link?

Which column should this HTML code be added to?

Thanks so much!.

0 Kudos
StefanHaglund1
Esri Contributor

I am having trouble with this. I have the same goal as the original poster, to include help documentation to be viewed in an offline situation.

I have tried several different options as what you see in the table below. Rows 2 and 3 has links to the local files on my Android device which is essentially what I need. Neither works though, there is no response from the app when clicking the links.

Rows 5 and 6 reference local files on my PC and work on the PC but not in the field-app for obvious reasons. Same as for the links for to the pdf stored on the device, nothing happens when clicking the in the field-app.

Rows 8 and 9 both work.

I have verified the location on my device (with the correct item-id) and that the .pdf is present on the device after downloading the survey.

Seems there is something wrong with how I reference the local file on the device, in this statement: 

<a href="file:///storage/emulated/0/ArcGIS/My Surveys/000MYITEMID0000/esriinfo/media/mydoc.pdf">Android label</a>

What am I missing, can anyone give some input?  

surveylinks.PNG

@DeonLengton 

0 Kudos
CarlBeyerhelm
Occasional Contributor

I am having the same question as StefanHaglund1.  My calculation expression (shown below) does not open the referenced PDF file on an Android device.  The path to the PDF file is correct, as it matches the path displayed for the PDF file by my Android file manager (see the attached image).

And, like Stefan, if I substitute a Windows PC path, it does work as expected when using the survey on a Windows PC.

Am I referencing the Android file system incorrectly?

concat('<a href="file:///Internal storage/Android/data/com.esri.survey123/files/ArcGIS/My Surveys/eb5b134a5e784a7ea908e03de3b57501/esriinfo/media/WruGuide.pdf" class="link external button button-raised button-fill color-blue">Guidance Doc</a>')

covaelite
New Contributor

This is becoming a frequent request from several different organizations within my own. Are there any updates with this being implemented successfully for mobile?

I don't even mind having to create links individually for different platforms because the file paths are different, I just need a working link for each.

For some reason, I can't open these links up in android despite the file path matching. 

0 Kudos
Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

I'm close to a solution for clicking a link to open a PDF in the media folder on an iPad, using a URL that looks like this:

shareddocuments:///On%20My%20iPad/Survey123/ArcGIS/My%20Surveys/<surveyformitemID>/esriinfo/media/test.pdf

This opens the media folder where the PDF is located but then I have to click on the file to view it. I wonder if anyone can figure out what changes I need to make to actually open the pdf? 

I came across the information about the shareddocuments approach for linking to a file here:

https://www.macstories.net/ios/fs-bookmarks-a-shortcut-to-reopen-files-and-folders-directly-in-the-f...

0 Kudos
CaseyJost
New Contributor

@Strahanjen , were you ever able to solve how to open the PDF instead of just the media folder? I am trying to do the same work around. Yours was a helpful note - thanks! 

0 Kudos