Support for Indigenous language Cree

Jump to solution
02-02-2021 08:52 AM
BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello 

I've created a survey with support for three languages:  English, French and Cree.

I believe all is good with English and French setup.  RE: the Cree language I was not hoping for it to work perfectly since Cree does not seem to be supported (can no longer find that link where I read that).  My recollection was that for languages that are not supported, it was referring to 100% support meaning that in some cases (e.g. geo questions) the widget instructional text will not be translated.  

However, I cannot get any of the translated text to appear as a label.  It takes up space on the form but it is not visible; either in S123 Connect or S123 Survey app.  Yet, in the Excel form it appears just fine.  

ᐊᒥᐢᑿᒌᐚᐢᑲᐦᐃᑲᐣ

Here are some Cree syllabics that I copied into a label field using the Cree (cr) language code; same as I did with French (fr) and it worked as expected.  

I'm not looking for perfection but if we can get most of the survey translated (less widgets, etc) that would be worthwhile.

Thanks for any input.  

Brian

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

It looks like it's the font issue. On MacOS, the Cree characters will render just fine. But on Windows OS, you would need to install the font to render Cree. Please install this  font on your Windows OS and reopen the Connect, you should be able to see the Cree characters showing up properly using label::Cree (cr).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

Cree should be one of the languages Pyxform supports and Cree (cr) should be the correct label to use. I can see that the character will not display correctly in Survey123 Connect but showed up just fine in the XLSForm. We will look into this and get back to you shortly.

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

It looks like it's the font issue. On MacOS, the Cree characters will render just fine. But on Windows OS, you would need to install the font to render Cree. Please install this  font on your Windows OS and reopen the Connect, you should be able to see the Cree characters showing up properly using label::Cree (cr).

BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Shwu-jingJeng,

I'm impressed at how fast you were able to decipher the issue and provide a solution.  This worked like a charm.    I was able to see the Cree in S123 Connect (Win10), S123 (Win10 app) and on my android device just fine.  The geopoint question widget does not auto translate to Cree but that is what I expected.  

Have to admit I don't install fonts on my Win10 laptop often (ok never) but all I had to do was double click on the TTF file you provided and chose install.

So I guess the issue really comes down to Windows only.  That is, on MacOS and Android it works.  I'll assume for now it will work on iOS as well for the S123 app.

Thanks again !

Cheers, Brian

ps - before you provided that truetype font, I tried loading Cree language on my Win10 laptop (see attached).  After I did so I could see the Cree in the XLSForm and the Connect app and Win10 S123 app.  But it size was too small.  It was only after I loaded your font that it worked fine.  

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Biran,

Yes, this issue is Windows specific as Cree is not within the default font on Windows OS and required a separated installation of the font. Our Survey123 application does not provide Cree version of the translated app(UI and control) but Cree is one of the supported language XLSForm supported. This allows the form to contain Cree language content, but the app UI control will remain in English.

For the font size from the Windows Cree language pack, it might be the font from the LP is different from the 3rd party font I referred to, thus, you see a difference of the font size.

Other platforms such as MacOS, android device and iOS mobile device would be fine to render Cree as the default font could handle Cree without a separated font installation.

0 Kudos
BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for clarifying.

Brian

0 Kudos