Spinners on multiple choice questions

01-07-2019 12:10 PM
JimmyErnst
New Contributor

I have a multiple choice question in my survey (under construction) and I need a spinner available next to each choice.  Choices are plant species and are selected as they are encountered along a transect.  The spinner is to count each plant of that species.  The results need to be a list of plant species encountered and the number of each species recorded.

How do I get the spinner to show up next to the species name on the choice list?

New to Survey123 and all help is appreciated.

Jimmy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jimmy,

It sounds like you are looking for a method to place an integer question with a spinner appearance horizontally next to a multiple choice question (on the same row).  How many plant species will be listed on your choice sheet?  While it is not possible, to have an integer question with spinner appearance on the same row, you could potentially have an integer question with spinner appearance set for each of the species. This could be placed within a group with compact appearance until the survey submitter is ready to engage with the particular section of the survey. This might get a little busy if you have lots of different species.  I have attached a screenshot and XLSForm regarding how this might work...

Best,

Brandon

0 Kudos
JimmyErnst
New Contributor

Brandon,

Thanks for the response. I have 125 species on the list. I’m new to Survey123 and learning as I go. The help functions are ok but don’t get down to my beginner level of knowledge for this. Excel spreadsheets, ArcGis mapping, I’m proficient with but this is new. I need a way to recreate a spreadsheet survey form we use, which lists all the species, which ones occur on a transect, or plot, how many of them occur, and how many of them are browsed by deer. The spreadsheet makes some basic calculations including # of species/transect; # of species browsed by deer/transect and # of plants browsed by deer/transect and averages of each of those parameters for all transects. I know Survey123 can do it, I just can’t find the right kind of help.

Can I set up predictive text for the list of species and let the user begin entering species names, then select the right species and have a spinner on selected species? Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Jimmy

Jimmy Ernst

Deer Management Assistance Program Coordinator

LA Department of Wildlife and Fisheries

jernst@wlf.la.gov

www.wlf.louisiana.gov<http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov>

2000 Quail Drive

Baton Rouge, LA 70808

P.O. Box 98000

Baton Rouge, LA 70898-9000

(o) 225-763-5448 ex. 1456