Spatial query in Survey123?

08-12-2019 10:44 AM
AllenDailey1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there,

My organization is creating a survey with Survey123 to allow staff to map and enter data about homeless encampments.  Users create a geopoint for each new homeless camp they find.  We would like to pull parcel owner data into the survey based on the geopoint location; parcel owner data is in an existing feature service we have.  Is there some way to do a spatial query (?) between the survey and the existing feature service?  By the way, we are using Excel and Survey123 Connect to create the survey.

I've read about how it's possible to pull data from a CSV file into Survey123, for example on this webpage: Formulas—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

If we made the parcel owner feature service into a CSV, with polygons as a list of vertex coordinates (I saw an example of this online), is there some way to do the following (or something else that would achieve a similar result):

1) user enters geopoint in Survey123

2) a survey question after the geopoint question, which would be read-only and would get and display the parcel owner, by looking up which polygon in the CSV the geopoint would be inside.

By the way, I also read a little about Survey123's Custom JS Functions, which is supposedly available in the Early Adopter community.  I don't have JS experience and don't know what Custom JS Functions involve, so it would be nice to avoid this, but if Custom JS Functions is the only way to achieve my goal, then I am open to hearing more about how it works.

Thank you!!

5 Replies
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Based on ESRI's replies in this thread: Can I auto-fill a value based on geopoint from Survey123?  it sounds like the custom JS functions from Early Adopter are indeed your best bet. They have a couple of samples in the documentation to help get you started. Try the ZIPCodeFinder one, sounds similar to what you're looking for. I don't have much JS experience either, but was able to follow their guides and get their samples to work. I'm looking forward to when this functionality is fully released, it's going to be so useful!

0 Kudos
AllenDailey1

Thanks for your reply, Chelsea.  That's good to hear that you had success with the custom JS functions.  Perhaps I will check it out.  I haven't been able to find any "documentation" on the Early Adopter website, but maybe I have to register as an official early adopter in order to view any of that?

Thanks!

Allen

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmm.. I forget what it looks like to a new user, but I think you will indeed need to register, and then grab Survey123 from the available opportunities on the Home page. Once you're in that opportunity, there are Documentation etc. links on the left side.

0 Kudos
AllenDailey1

Sounds good, thank you.

0 Kudos