Select to view content in your preferred language

Sort in Batch Edit -- published Survey123

02-09-2024 05:47 AM
ScottJones1
Regular Contributor

I have a survey123, created and currently being edited on AGOL. I am finding that I need to add and remove numerous answer options. I would like to sort alphabetically, I have cut and pasted to excel, created the sort and then re-pasted into Survey, but the sort does not work?

Are my only options, move to Survey123 Connect?

Remove the items, publish without the items (will I lose data?)

Then re-insert the items and re-publish?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'd recommend moving to S123 Connect as I find it gives a considerably greater degree of control.

Republishing anything other than your original survey will result in data loss, but you could always link to the old Feature Layer. That way, you retain the old data, but this could make publishing updates much more convoluted.

Simply deleting any field and republishing a survey will NOT result in data loss. That is because even if you delete a field, it stays in the Feature Layer. In fact, you can delete something, republish, and then re-add that same field back in sometime in the future (need to use the exact same name) just fine.

If you are just changing out the questions in a list, you could use an external list instead of a built-in list. That way you don't need to update the survey to update the lists.

If you find yourself adding removing actual questions on a regular basis, again, I am a fan of Connect.

And lastly, if you are adding removing actual questions on a regular basis, maybe changing up the survey format could help alleviate some stress there. I am not sure what your project parameters are, but sometimes going back to the drawing board is helpful.

0 Kudos
ScottJones1
Regular Contributor

Yep, I think your guidance is the best course of action, I just access this survey from different locations so was trying to keep it as simple as possible... 

0 Kudos