Some select one questions not updating when editing existing Survey123 data in form view on data tab across multiple pages (or repeats)

03-15-2022 03:14 PM
HBottelberghe_eci
New Contributor II

After submitting a survey from the field, the inspectors will often edit a record in Form view on the Data tab on the Survey123 website. When several answers are changed across multiple pages in the form, after they hit submit some of the select_one answers they changed on previous pages revert back to their previous state.

For example, they will change an answer that was originally checked "Yes" to "No". After making several changes to their answers, they submit the form and not all of their changes are made to the record and the question they changed to "No" still shows "Yes" in the table. 

The problem only occurs if they make changes on multiple pages (or repeats) before submitting the updated survey record in Form view. If they change their answers for only one page (or one repeat) and submit it the record is updated correctly.

For right now, I will have them only make changes to one page (or repeat) at a time and submit the updates before moving on to the next page (or repeat), but this becomes tedious when they need to quickly make changes to the form across multiple pages. Has anyone else encountered this problem? and if so, is there a solution that I can apply to improve the functionality of editing existing records across pages (or repeats) from the Data tab in Form view?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
HBottelberghe_eci
New Contributor II

Hi Doug,

I have allow updates set in the xlsform. I am able to edit repeats from the Inbox in the Field App without problems. This problem only occurs when editing the records from the Survey123 website on the Data tab using Form view and it occurs on questions that are not in repeats.

Best,

Heather Bottelberghe

0 Kudos
DuncanC
New Contributor III

Did you ever find a solution to this?  It seems I'm running into the same issue.

0 Kudos
HBottelberghe_eci
New Contributor II

Unfortunately no. Currently have the inspectors make changes to one page (or repeat) at a time and submit the updates before moving on to the next page (or repeat).

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you share the XLSForm so we can reproduce?

The Survey123 website will use the web form. Some functionality from the field app isn't supported in the web form. It's possible that is what you're seeing? If so, you could set up a map with a custom URL scheme to open the records in the Survey123 field app Inbox for editing, instead of using the web form.

Generally I pair web form and website. For field app, web mapping applications like Experience Builder or Operations Dashboards give a better result.