Sign in required to submit on a shared survey

04-11-2018 02:21 PM
RalphBradt1
New Contributor II

I created a survey last year and used it in the field, as did a number of other folks. Worked great and I got a lot of data collected. I made a few improvements in anticipation of the coming field season and sent it out, but I'm hearing that people are being asked to sign in to submit surveys. I was just outside and tried a test survey, but now I'm being asked to sign in also. at the top of the collaborate tab under "Choose who can submit data to this survey:", Everyone (Public) is checked. I've been trying to figure out what other setting could have gotten changed. The feature layer the surveys feed are also shared with everyone. I've dug around in the settings and, as far as I can tell, nothing's amiss, although what some of the correct settings are aren't entirely clear to me. I'm getting a bit exasperated. Anyone have suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ralph,

Did the modifications require the republishing of the underlying feature service?  If so, the sharing settings may have gotten out of sync.  Can you unshare the survey and then reshare to re-apply settings?

0 Kudos
RalphBradt1
New Contributor II

Well, I unshared it and saved it, then reshared it and saved it again, I still couldn't get it to send without signing in, so I deleted it off my phone, sent myself the survey link again, reinstalled it and did a new survey. When I went to send it, it didn't ask me to sign in, but it failed to send. The phone is low on power, so I'll charge it up and try again later. At least I didn't have to sign in this time, so maybe I'm closer to getting it to work right. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
RalphBradt1
New Contributor II

I don't have to sign in to send, but I can't get surveys to send. They seem to begin sending, then quit. On one phone I get no specific error cited, and on the other I get Code 400. I assume the problem is the same on both phones. The survey was working fine in the field a couple weeks ago, but something has happened since. Am I looking at having to delete and republish everything?  

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Ralph,

Is there a message that accompanies the code 400? As per Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS , the usual cause for that error code is the linkage between the survey and feature service has been lost.  There are a couple of ways to correct that:

1) Create a new survey based on the feature service; this will recreate the survey, perhaps with a couple of tweaks needed based on image questions or later revisions (adding image questions, updating choice lists)

2) Manually set the feature service by setting the submission_url property (see Use Survey123 with existing feature services—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS ).  Note the value used in submission_url uses the ID of the feature service's item in ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
RalphBradt1
New Contributor II

Hi James,

Thanks so much for your help! Creating a new survey based on the feature service sounds like the thing to do. I'll give that a try. The second option doesn't sound too inviting ("possible, but not recommended") and, given my recent luck, I'm inclined to start over clean from the existing survey's XLSform before I try that. I'd lose the data I've collected so far, but it isn't a huge amount nor critical data and could be exported out of the existing feature service.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

That's understandable. #2 is basically applying to the existing survey what #1 does automatically to a new survey; that being said, with #1 you will start with a survey designed to work against the feature service as it is right now.

0 Kudos