Select One from File Choice Filter

Jump to solution
04-21-2022 12:53 PM
LydiaWerner_MAC
New Contributor III

I have an CSV choice list (3000+ records) to select species from for a survey question. I have two questions relating to species: species name and species guild. While the select_one_from_file works fine to select a species name, I am having trouble getting the extra column in my choices list CSV (guild) to populate any data. It returns zero records. 

Any help would be appreciated! I've been trying for several hours to get this to work. We have users of this form that don't know the guilds for 3000+ species, so figuring this out would be huge.

LydiaWerner_MAC_0-1650570598140.png

Screenshot below shows the choice_filter (far right).

LydiaWerner_MAC_1-1650570624175.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

This calculation will pull the guild value automatically:

pulldata('speciesguildlist','guild','name',${speciesofanimal})

I think I am missing something though. The Species' Guild or Group is the same drop-down as Species of Animal?

Edit: Sorry for the delay, my browser wasn't cooperating. I believe I unconfused myself. The reason the original drop-down was blank for you was because of the choice_filter.

If all you need is to pull the data from the guild column when a species selection is made, then I would suggest removing that second drop-down and using a calculate field for that. If you want to display the result for the end-user, you can use a note field to reference that calculate field. See example below:

abureaux_0-1650574135084.png

You may notice that if you add this calculation to your current drop-down that the resulting text is red. That is because it is displaying unexpected text (i.e., text from the guild column). This may cause issues with missing data, hence the suggestion above. Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

This calculation will pull the guild value automatically:

pulldata('speciesguildlist','guild','name',${speciesofanimal})

I think I am missing something though. The Species' Guild or Group is the same drop-down as Species of Animal?

Edit: Sorry for the delay, my browser wasn't cooperating. I believe I unconfused myself. The reason the original drop-down was blank for you was because of the choice_filter.

If all you need is to pull the data from the guild column when a species selection is made, then I would suggest removing that second drop-down and using a calculate field for that. If you want to display the result for the end-user, you can use a note field to reference that calculate field. See example below:

abureaux_0-1650574135084.png

You may notice that if you add this calculation to your current drop-down that the resulting text is red. That is because it is displaying unexpected text (i.e., text from the guild column). This may cause issues with missing data, hence the suggestion above. Good luck!

0 Kudos
LydiaWerner_MAC
New Contributor III

@abureaux This is great! I have now used this in another form and I think this is a great solution for data that I want people to see, but not have to enter. Thank you!

0 Kudos
LydiaWerner_MAC
New Contributor III

Wow, this worked! I am using one choice list with the species' name as the label and the guild as an additional column (each species is part of a guild). Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Lydia, Would you please post your revised choice list?

0 Kudos
LydiaWerner_MAC
New Contributor III

@Anonymous User , based on the answer from @abureaux , I didn't change my list at all. I merely used the syntax suggested.

0 Kudos