select_one field not displaying options

87
6
Jump to solution
04-24-2019 07:44 AM
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I have added a select_one question type to an existing survey and although the question and hint are displaying, the choices are not. I have many other select_one questions which are working successfully and have this one (confidence_extent) configured in the same way. Why are the choices not displaying?

type = select_one confidence_extent

name = confidence_extent

choice_filter = values=${confidence_extent}

list_name = confidence_extent

name = Y, N, or ? (I even tried changing this to Unknown, in case the ? was causing a problem)

label = ...

Tags (1)
Reply
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response, however, esri has a tutorial out regarding "Enabling CSV Data in your Surveys" for pulldata requests. Obviously CSV files use commas, so that wasn't the problem. My other issue was solved by removing some random " from my CSV file. Given that all of my other select_one questions work, the / in my data is not the culprit either.

I finally figured out it was because I had defined the choice_filter when it was not appropriate for this field. So many of my other select_ones had it defined though and I was just quickly copying them as I was in a rush. Anyways, the problem is now resolved.

Thank you for your very thoughtful reply!

View solution in original post

Reply
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

As you pointed out in your other post make sure there are no special chars in your name or label field.  Commas get me a lot.  No commas allowed.

Also look for new lines.

For the label column - right click Format cells.  Then on the alignment tab check the wrap text button.  You will see any newlines pop out in the list since the row will be larger than the rest.  Delete the start and end of the string and watch it change.

I posted on this earlier in the week.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, none of that has resolved the situation. Would it help if I attached my spreadsheet?

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

Yes

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for offering to look at this! The only odd characters are underscores, but I'm using underscores in other select_one questions which work successfully. And I have list_names of longer length, so that's not it either. I've also tried removing the - from the label and the ? as name and those changes don't make a difference either. I'm flummoxed!

The Source Feature.xlsx spreadsheet (survey) can be downloaded here. The Tracked_Species.csv spreadsheet, found in the same location, is referenced via the pulldata (which corresponds to my other question). I'm assuming it wouldn't affect this, but included it just in case.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

I opened up you Tracked Species and found 218 commas right away!  You cannot have any commas anywhere, period.  Got to get them out of there.

I also see / in your list.  I would remove those too since if you ever use python on it, while it should be ok, it sometimes is not.

Whenever I have used external sheets you had to create a external_choices tab and use that.  This may have all changed though as I started with v1.

External selects

The choice lists associated with cascading selects can become large and impact the performance of your forms. Survey123 has an option to save these lists in an external file and load them into the survey on demand.

To implement this option, create a tab on the spreadsheet for your survey named external_choices. This new tab should contain the same column headings as the choices tab. When the survey is published, values from the external_choices tab will be saved in a file called itemsets.csv in the media folder of your survey project, rather than as part of the form item. To reference the choice lists on the external_choices tab, use select_one_external to prefix the list name.

Note:

External selects are designed to work with choice lists associated with a cascading select only. Only choices with an applied choice filter will be added to the itemsets.csv file.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response, however, esri has a tutorial out regarding "Enabling CSV Data in your Surveys" for pulldata requests. Obviously CSV files use commas, so that wasn't the problem. My other issue was solved by removing some random " from my CSV file. Given that all of my other select_one questions work, the / in my data is not the culprit either.

I finally figured out it was because I had defined the choice_filter when it was not appropriate for this field. So many of my other select_ones had it defined though and I was just quickly copying them as I was in a rush. Anyways, the problem is now resolved.

Thank you for your very thoughtful reply!

View solution in original post

Reply
0 Kudos