Scientific Name in Choices?

07-01-2016 02:05 PM
PJJamwal
New Contributor II

Hi, I want to record Scientific Name of the species in the geodatabase but in the name column under “choices”, the Values (in our case Scientific Name) do not accept spaces. There should be a gap between first name and the last name. So, is there any way I can separate the first and last name in the geodatabase?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MitchellProctor
Occasional Contributor II

This is a difficult one, because of the non-standard lengths of scientific names. The best I could come up with when somebody else raised the same question was to use a substr() expression in another field to dismantle the name and add a space, the same as what you would do to use calculations in geopoints​. You could pad them out with underscores to make them all a standard length, then use a calculation to extract the two names and manually enter a space. Unfortunately, what that would do in this case is separate the names with a space but have those names be flanked by underscores.

Those sorts of responses will just lead to another column in the results of your survey with much the same information, though, so even if there is a method to display it perfectly I'd question if you should. It'd be two columns displaying exactly the same information, except that one has a space instead of an underscore.

PJJamwal
New Contributor II

Thanks Mitchell for your reply. I entered the Scientific names in the name column, separated by underscore.SN2.PNG

0 Kudos