Select to view content in your preferred language

S123 Annotate use photo taken in previous question

05-04-2022 02:25 AM
ChristopherDawe
Regular Contributor

Is is possible to use a photo taken in a previous question in a survey to act as a default for an annotate question. I have surveyors who go out to a location, fill in some basic information, and take a photo of a location during daylight. They then want to annotate this photo later on during night-time to take records for bat surveys. The annotate is inside a repeat as there may be multiple records taken at the same time but needs to be shown on the "daylight" photo as it would be too dark to take a new photo at this time. There is the option of "select a file" but the photo taken previously is not visible in the android app in any of the folders (presumably as the survey hasn't yet been submitted or is stored in a different location.

If there is an option to use the earlier question image as a default background that would reduce the need to take a new photo or hunt around on the phone's file system for a photo. i cant seem to find out how it would work from the documentation, only the below is mentioned such that you would need to have an image in the surveys media folder already

"Defaults and calculations behave differently with image questions using draw and annotate. If the file name of an image in the survey's media folder is used as a default value or the result of a calculation, the image is used as an initial background for the canvas. With annotate, this image is replaced by a provided image, and it only displays if the user specifically declines to provide an image, or resets the image once already provided."

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just attach the photo twice.  It should be in the 123 folder which I think you can browse to.  Or for us the crews like to use the tablet camera app then just attach it twice.

Or maybe your question is from the new way annotate displays.  By default it now only shows the camera option.  Add this method=camera,browse to the body::esri:style column.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
ChristopherDawe
Regular Contributor

the problem we are having is that the survey 123 folder is not accessible via the browse function on the android phone, it takes you to an "images" page where you can look through camera, downloads, screenshots etc but no way to navigate to the S123 folder. I dont know whether this is a new behaviour as i would have thought that it would just go to the gallery with "all media" as a possibility.  

Unfortunately we cant take the photo each time as we need a photo taken in daylight and then to use this for each record of a bat coming out at night so there could be multiple.

We have the method=camera, browse already set up so thats not the issue.

I think the only current work around will be to take a photo with the device camera outside of Survey 123 so that we can then browse to it from the camera folder when selecting "from file"

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have been using iPad lately and it works fine.  I just checked my Android 12 phone and yep I cant see it in the ArcGIS folder.  Used to be able to.  I see a different Esri app in there.  I think it is a 12 or 11 thing.

See here it did work  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/is-it-possible-to-save-photos-taken-with-su...

Maybe 123 can add to this.  I wish it would work its a pain.  We tend to take them in the camera and attach. But it is a extra pain for sure.

Sorry I could not help more.