Select to view content in your preferred language

Reverse Geocode in a Repeat Survey123

11-09-2022 12:18 PM
LukeDubois
Emerging Contributor

I recently recreated my survey123 to include a repeat to allow users to submit multiple geopoints within their larger project. Before I included the repeat, reverse geocode worked perfectly to find the county "Subregion" the point was located within, now the field is left blank.

pulldata("@geopoint", ${location}, "reversegeocode.address.Subregion")

In the calculation column

Strangely, the latitude and longitude calculations still work.

pulldata("@geopoint", ${location}, "x")
pulldata("@geopoint", ${location}, "y")

Again in their respective calculation columns

The only difference between my first iteration and now is including these calculations within a repeat. 

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this a known issue?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

Hi @LukeDubois 

I was not able to recreate the issue with a test survey starting off with reverse geocoding a geopoint question, then placing it in a repeat. 

I would do the usual things to test this; in a duplicate survey for testing, does the issue still occur? Then start taking out questions to get the smallest reproducible issue. If you are unable to find the cause of the issue feel free to share your xlsx form.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
LukeDubois
Emerging Contributor

Richard thanks for your help looking at this.

Here's the survey xlsx form. 

I have tested since my first message and found that if I just get rid of the repeat my county "Subregion" geocoding works perfectly fine. But having it within a repeat really helps it serve the purpose I need from it.

0 Kudos
LukeDubois
Emerging Contributor

I tested it again with a stripped down version of the survey. Without the repeat reverse geocoding for "subregion" works perfectly but once I add that in it breaks. I also just tried it with "Region" as well. The geopoints are being stored correctly and I am able to pull out the latitude and longitude as before.

I am nearly convinced at this point that there is some issue with reverse geocoding and the repeat not working together.

0 Kudos
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

Hi @LukeDubois 

I can recreate the issue now. May you confirm that the you only experience the issue submitting via the web form. Previously I was only testing in Connect and on the Field App.

Thanks

0 Kudos
LukeDubois
Emerging Contributor

OHHHH! Yeah I only tested on the web form. I think that's how most users will fill out our survey.

0 Kudos
ShawnHarris_CAR
Occasional Contributor

@Richard_Purkis We are also experiencing the same issue as the original poster. Our reverse geocoding works as expected outside of a repeat in the web app but does not calculate within a repeat. We tried adding a dedicated trigger, such as "Do you want to reverse geocode" to force the calculation but this did not work.

0 Kudos
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

@LukeDubois @ShawnHarris_CAR 

I have a logged a new defect for this as BUG-000153785 : Reverse geocoding fails when geopoints are placed in a repeat and the survey is submitted via web form 

Thanks

0 Kudos