Select to view content in your preferred language

Relevant Field Not Working

Jump to solution
06-02-2023 02:24 PM
MatthewMorehead
Emerging Contributor

Hey everyone,

I just started diving into survey 123 connect ant making surveys using the XLSForm. It has been pretty straight forward, but I am encountering an issue using the relevant field. I am using:

${RANGER_DISTRICT} = 'AUSTIN TONOPAH'

to hide my allotment question unless the user selects AUSTIN TONOPAH as their ranger district. The function successfully hides the ALLOTMENT question, however when I select AUSTIN TONOPAH in the RANGER_DISTRICT question, the allotment field does not populate.

I used the same function, except to hide a PASTURE/UNIT question unless the user selects a relevant ALLOTMENT, and it hides then populates with no issue when the ALLOTMENT is selected (I tested this by deleting the relevant field for the ALLOTMENT question so it would not be hidden).

Any help is appreciated, it is a little frustrating that the same function works for one question but not the next.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ok, thanks for sharing! That cleared things up. The equivalency expressions refer to the 'name' of the choices worksheet, not the label. 

In your form, all the choices for DISTRICT have the same name. Change the names to be the same as what's in the label column and the relevant statement should work.

Katherine_Clark_0-1685995735925.png

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm a bit confused, just because a field appears when it is relevant does not mean it will autopopulate. Do you have an additional expression in the calculate column?

It would be helpful if you could provide the XLS form or at least some screenshots. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
MatthewMorehead
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for the reply. The Allotment question is successfully hidden by the ${RANGER_DISTRICT} ='AUSTIN TONOPAH' expression, however when AUSTIN TONOPAH is selected in the DISTRICT question, the ALLOTMENT question does not appear like I want. I attached my XLSForm below. I appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ok, thanks for sharing! That cleared things up. The equivalency expressions refer to the 'name' of the choices worksheet, not the label. 

In your form, all the choices for DISTRICT have the same name. Change the names to be the same as what's in the label column and the relevant statement should work.

Katherine_Clark_0-1685995735925.png

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
MatthewMorehead
Emerging Contributor

Amazing, that you for catching that, it fixed it perfectly!