Select to view content in your preferred language

Refresh all Inboxes

3 weeks ago
sfritkin
New Contributor

I was wondering if there is a way to refresh the inbox of all surveys in the Survey123 app without going into each survey individually.

My situation: I have a little under 100 different surveys that need to be checked through our quality team before a final submission, so I have a query expression set up on each one.  This leaves two inboxes, one for the field tech who records the data, and one for the reviewer who can either send it back or send it forward after their review of the data.  I currently have Make.com automating a message to be sent through Teams when a survey is submitted for review.  This allows the quality team to know which survey's inbox needs to be refreshed in real time, but unfortunately can generate 100+ messages a day, which can get quite annoying.  Without this, however, the team has no way of knowing what is sent to their inbox, so they would need to go into each of the ~100 surveys and refresh them periodically throughout the day.  This is quite annoying in a different way.

I am pretty new to Survey123, so I'm hoping I either missed something or there's something I can do about this.  I would like, if possible, something along the lines of a single "Refresh All Inboxes" button so my team can just press that once every hour or so and work on anything that pops up, rather than rely on the stream of Teams messages that come through the webhook/automation.

Thanks!

1 Reply
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Survey123 was originally designed to work offline for data capture. Editing existing records came later. It's always a bit short or less focused than capturing new records.

No, you cannot force a refresh or have a single button to download all Inbox records for all survey devices.

But it sounds like your users are online and don't need to have the records downloaded - a more traditional issue for fieldworkers downloading records requiring edits before heading to remote areas.

So you have the option to use the Survey123 URL parameters from a live table/map/app to open the record in the field app inbox. The parameters can prompt the inbox to be refreshed when the link to the record is clicked.

1. Set up a web map and app with the filters e.g. ArcGIS Dashboards, features requiring review
  2. Construct a URL in the table or pop-up to opens Survey123, query the feature globalid and update:
    arcgis-survey123://?itemID:<YourSurveyItemID>&action:edit&q:globalId:{GlobalID}&folder:inbox&update:true
    https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/get-started/integratewithotherapps.htm
  3. Users can click through the app, it'll open Survey123 and refresh the Inbox, then they submit.

Lots of advantages to this approach, like adding infographics to the dashboard.

0 Kudos