Select to view content in your preferred language

"Minimal" appearance for repeats not being respected in web forms when dynamic grid widths are set

Jump to solution
04-06-2023 01:09 PM
Vinzafy
Occasional Contributor

Hey all,

Posting this as I'm wondering if I'm either formatting my survey wrong, or if this is a known bug/limitation for WebForms.

Issue

I have surveys that were designed to work both on the S123 app and on WebForms. A do realize that dynamic-grid styles and corresponding widths don't transfer over to WebForms, however it seems that having a width set for a repeat breaks the minimal appearance.

As seen below (screenshot and XLSForm excerpts), I have two repeats. The top repeat, "Sponsor Details" behaves as expected when minimal appearance is used (i.e., a blank record is not added by default).

The bottom repeat however also has a minimal appearance, but is set to "w4 minimal" for dynamic-grid formatting. As seen in the WebForm, the minimal appearance isn't respected and a blank record is created.

Note that the minimal appearance works in the Survey123 app in both scenarios. It's the WebForm version that does not respect minimal appearance when prepended with width tags.

Vinzafy_1-1680811184576.png

Repeat section for Sponsor Details - minimal appearance works in both the Survey123 app and the WebForm

typenamelabelappearance
begin repeatRTA_AGO_v2_sponsorsSponsor Detailsminimal
textrta_sponsorSponsor Namepredictivetext
select_multiple sponsor_typerta_sponsor_typeSponsor Typehorizontal
textrta_sponsor_type_otherSponsor Type (Other)predictivetext
textrta_sponsor_notesNotesmultiline predictivetext
imagerta_sponsor_photosPhotosmultiline
select_one statusrta_sponsor_statusSponsor Data Statushidden
end repeat   

Repeat section for Observer Details - minimal appearance works in Survey123 app but NOT in the WebForm

typenamelabelappearance
begin repeatRTA_AGO_v2_observersObserver Detailsw4 minimal
textrta_obs_nameObserver Namew4 predictivetext
textrta_obs_companyObserver Companyw4 predictivetext
select_multiple attendancerta_obs_days_attendedDays Attended?w4 horizontal
textrta_obs_notesNotesw4 multiline predictivetext
imagerta_obs_photosPhotosmultiline
select_one statusrta_obs_statusObserver Data Statushidden
end repeat   

Question

Is it expected that "minimal" functionality for repeats doesn't work in WebForms when prepended with dynamic-grid width tags?

Note that I did see this thread with a similar issue. Draft mode is not enabled for this survey.

Thankfully in my case, I can go without the width tags for those repeats as it doesn't ruin the formatting, but it'd be great to know if this is a current limitation with web forms.

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Dynamic grid isn't supported in the web app, so it's not surprising you see issues with other appearance parameters are combined with it. If the appears is 'w4 minimal' and the web app doesn't know how to handle w4, I can see it having a hard time handling the full cell string.

If you plan on using this in the survey123 web app I would recommend not using unsupported functionality where possible. Design it so you know it'll work robustly in both.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Dynamic grid isn't supported in the web app, so it's not surprising you see issues with other appearance parameters are combined with it. If the appears is 'w4 minimal' and the web app doesn't know how to handle w4, I can see it having a hard time handling the full cell string.

If you plan on using this in the survey123 web app I would recommend not using unsupported functionality where possible. Design it so you know it'll work robustly in both.

Vinzafy
Occasional Contributor

That makes sense and I had a feeling that would be the case. I guess the hope would be that the unsupported width tags would be ignored in the WebForms while the remainder of the appearance cell would be respected, however "w4 minimal" and "minimal" and completely unique values so it makes sense.

Thankfully in my case, surveys are to be completed in the app the majority of the time and discrepancies between the app and WebForms like the above are mainly aesthetic. Great things to know for the future though.

Thanks again for your response and hope you had a great weekend!